Saturday, July 9, 2016

No News Is Good News

My mom was discharged temporarily from the hospital on the 4th of July and I hauled my brother-in-law and his family and my mother-in-law to the airport a couple days later and sent them flying away to the other side of the world... a comfortable distance. We have gotten our house back the way it once was and the silence of having ONLY two young children is deafening to say the least!

An update though on my mom. Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes. We still don't know much other than my mom has a small mass in the back side of her brain that controls motor functions. It is classified as low grade which means it is slow growing and all the dyes they inject into the brain during scans doesn't cause it to light up as most cancers will. That all is good news but they don't exactly know what it is and so there are two options. One is wait and see. The problem with this is that almost all low grade masses eventually turn into high grade or fast growing masses and damage, possibly irreversible kinds, can happen if not caught quickly enough. Option two is to go in for a biopsy to see what they are dealing with and if the right kind, remove some of it manually. Of course this if full of all kinds of risks that one can imagine but it would allow them to tailor therapy to cure/manage whatever mass she has and if they remove some, it buys time. All of this has been scheduled for six days from now.

For now, mom is fully "normal" and going about her life though she is no longer allowed to drive and won't be allowed for at least six months. This will really put a damper on my parents farming operation in which my mom not only drives a combine and tractors but drives almost daily for other reasons. I'm not sure what we are going to do yet but I know we will get by. For me, the most important thing is to identify this mass and figure out how to get rid of it while it is asleep and possibly non-cancerous.

With my mother-in-law gone, my projects on the house have slowed down. Thus far, I am still playing catch up with everything that continued to happen while I was gone for three weeks tooling around the Midwest. I am finally starting to catch up but I have a bit more to do. Once I get caught up on that, my mom goes back in for a biopsy and a minimum of a couple more days in the hospital post procedure for monitoring and then, just maybe, life will get back to normal. That is my hope anyway and I'm sticking too it.


Kelly said...

Family is wonderful, but in small doses (at least IMO), so I know you're glad to have things back to "normal" at your house - especially with things so up in the air with your mom.

Praying all will go well with the upcoming tests/biopsy and that it will be something benign that can be taken care of in the least invasive manner possible.

Keep us posted.

kymber said...

thanks for the update Ed... i kept checking back on the last posts comments to see if you would do an update there. so i am very happy to hear that your mom was released and will pray that when she goes for the biopsy they find nothing too out of the ordinary and will be able to treat it.

i am glad that you have the house back to normal and will have a chance to catch up on some things. your mom will stay in our prayers.

sending much love to you and yours! your friend,

Bob said...

A very wise person once said, "It's always something."

Ed said...

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I think more than anything, we are just nervous and waiting to find out what we are dealing with. It certainly is a kick in the but to do some soul searching and figure out what really is important in our lives. By this weekend, I should know more.