Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Continuing the Jet Lag Breaking Tour


Before continuing on to my family farm for lunch and winding our way back home, we stopped at a second old river town that is now mostly a historical area. All the old buildings are now shops or museums and the old bridge is now open to foot traffic only. Back in my youth, I remember riding in the backseat of my parent's car as we drove across this bridge. By the time I was of driving age, I believe it was closed to vehicles and a couple decades ago it was restored enough to allow people to walk across it. Since then I have been on it scores of times and have more computer memory than I care to admit tied up with photos of the bridge.


Looking towards the other side of the bridge where the town of Vernon used to be. It is now nothing more than a handful of houses scattered through the trees seen in the background.


Some of the original bridge decking which as you can see, isn't in very good shape. I wouldn't want to stand on any of it. Fortunately they have built and elevated walkway above the original decking that is sound enough to walk on and preserved the original decking.


They just don't make bridges like this anymore.


The rusty ironwork always grabs my attention.


Heading back to where I started and to visit the shops. Three of my favorites are an old antique shop in the General Store where I bought a book on building model ships, another shop for displaying local artist's work, and one called Iron and Lace where the husband/wife owners make forged iron works and pottery using Queen Anne's Lace for pattern design. If I ever win the lottery, I will buy out their inventory immediately.


I've been to this town more times than I can count and yet I never noticed this in a tree along a sidewalk. In fact, I didn't notice it this time until my niece pointed it out.

4 comments:

sage said...

Old bridges that are footpaths do draw my attention and make me want to stop and walk across them. THat's a long bridge.

Ed said...

Sage - They certainly do. There is a long modern one built over the Missouri River at Omaha, Nebraska that I enjoy walking on whenever I'm in the area. This one I love too but I can't help but wonder how much longer it can last before the river reclaims it.

Kelly said...

I have a problem with heights, especially when something "moves" (think rope bridges, etc.). However, this one looks like something I would be okay walking across. I think it's great they were able to preserve it in this manner.

At one time in my life I had a brief desire to learn ornamental welding. I still think it would be fun.

Bob said...

Sounds like an interesting day and I love the photos. There was a somewhat similar bridge just to the north of my hometown -- which Kelly will surely remember. I always considered it the official entry to our fair city. It was replaced with a more modern (and I'm sure, more secure) structure some years back, as I was reminded when I retuned recently for my class reunion. Would that the original could have been preserved like the one in your pictures.