Friday, May 20, 2016

Too Good To Be True

After that last post, I was pretty pumped to have saved myself a bunch of money by fixing my mother-in-law's phone. When it had charged up completely, I set it aside and waited for her to return from Washington D.C. to switch her back over again. When the time arrived, I picked up her fixed phone and went downstairs to the office but noticed that her phone battery was almost dead after sitting idle for two days. Not good.

I plugged it in again to the charger and it wouldn't charge anymore. I reset the thing two times and finally it started charging properly but I knew that it wasn't quite fixed yet. Since a lot of people talked about replacing the charging port along with the battery to fix their phones, I suspected the charging port needed to be replaced and I had ordered one anyway with the battery. I hadn't changed it the first go around because it involved COMPLETELY taking apart the phone.

I got my tools and completely took apart the phone and replaced the charging port. However, the charging port has two cables that stick to pads on the motherboard with some sort of adhesive and mine when taken apart didn't look like add the videos. I'm not sure if part of the motherboard came off or adhesive was left behind. Anyway, I put it all back together and turned it on and the phone failed to respond. I tossed it on the shelf for now and haven't revisited it yet. I may sometime but my mother-in-law seems to be getting along fine with the old phone so there is no hurry.

Bummer.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Indeed. At least she has another phone for the time being. Maybe you can find another YouTube clip at some point to make it work again. I'm still impressed with your ingenuity.

sage said...

You know we live in a throw away world!

Leigh said...

Don't give up! Dan has fixed his phone and a whole lot more. YouTube is the best for that. It's a shame everything is made so poorly nowadays.

Ed said...

Thanks everyone. I haven't tossed it and someday I may take a look at it once again. If nothing else, it was definitely interesting to see how those things are put together.

Claire said...

Phones are such a pain. It drives me dotty to have something I can't fix swiftly and easily with a litle effort.

Ed said...

Claire- Thanks for stopping by! From reading your blog, we have a lot in common with adoptive/biological parents.