Monday, May 2, 2016

I Have a Dream...

...I love maps and have always wanted a map room. For years, I have thought about buying one of those display cases you see in schools for class pictures or sometimes in businesses that sell posters. They essentially have glassed in frames of posters/pictures that one can flip through and were generally double sided so if you had a dozen frames, you could display a two dozen things. As I let that idea mature and mellow in my head, I now think it would take too much space and be too awkward to spend much time looking at maps, my true love. I have moved onto a different method.

I'm not sure what it is about maps I enjoy. When I look at them I see places I've been and ponder about places I haven't visited. I think as a work of art, some of them are beautiful in their own right. Historical maps especially interest me to see how or where things were in places I'm familiar with. I could and have sat down with an atlas and just perused it like I would a good non-fiction book.

So as I have been pondering during my hours of rebuilding this dank hole of a room into the beautiful office/spare bedroom it is becoming, I have an idea. Although I have hung a Jackson Pollock replica created by my kids in the area above the Murphy bed, it will be largely hidden unless guests are here. We may change that in the future since we have fallen in love with it but I digress. I think I would like to hang pictures of historical maps of beauty around the rest of the room. This is where I'm hoping you the reader might come in by pointing me in the direction of some maps you find particularly beautiful.

I have read a lot of books on exploration of our planet, oceans and continents and maps of those travels particularly interest me. I will most likely put a map or two of areas that I have been too and know well but I am open to places I've never been before. I am open to purchase said maps or find high resolution pictures of them if they aren't copyrighted which most historical maps aren't. If I find the latter, I will print them off. With some of the scraps of materials I have left over, I plan to make a half dozen or more frames to display these maps on my office walls and give me hours of enjoyment as I gaze at their squiggly lines. (I am not apposed to straight lines either!)

So if something comes to mind, even if just suggestions of terms to search by online, I'm interested. Drop a comment or shoot me an email. Many thanks!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

What a great idea! One of my brothers is a geography freak and encouraged (forced?) me to become a geography lover, too. (He drilled me on state capitals, postal code abbreviations, etc. when we were kids)

I'll have to think on this. I like those "antique" maps, but I also enjoy road maps and topographical maps. My sister gave me a jigsaw puzzle of the topo map for where I live. (it was tough to work!)

On a similar note, here's a post I did on a fun game you might already know about:

https://ksrgmck.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/geoguessr/

There's another called "Smarty Pins" that you might find fun and educational, too.

Ed said...

After writing this, I have discovered the Library of Congress digital maps section which allows me to download high resolution maps. That has opened up a lot of possibilities.

I haven't heard of the geo guessr thing but I may have to give that a try. It sounds like it would be tough but I'm guessing they put you near places that are identifiable and not out in the middle of a desert or ocean where it may be hundreds of miles to something you can fix upon.

Vince said...

I have a fascination with maps too. I lusted for a place to hang up all the National Geographic ones than came with the Magz. They had such exotic names and I'd try to find books in the library to connect stories with the places on the map.

ErinFromIowa said...

I headed over here to tell you about Library of Congress. Looks like you know about it. I love this hobby/decor idea!

Ed said...

Vince - Do they still publish National Geographic? I haven't seen one of those in ages!

Erin - Good minds think alike!