Friday, May 6, 2016

Home Alone


I went to Washington DC as a teenage for a band trip in high school. I have memories of touring the Whitehouse, the Smithsonian, Ford's Theater and seeing the sites along the mall. I also have memories of horrible traffic and wandering forever on the streets trying to find the Smithsonian. So when my wife told me that her conference was going to be in Washington DC this year and her mother seemed like she would be interested in going, I declined and stayed home with the kids. However as I was helping my wife do some last minute planning earlier this week, and saw that her hotel was within blocks of all these sites, I instantly regretted my decision.

On the plus side, I get to spend a week with just me and the girls doing whatever we do best. My brother and his oldest daughter are up for a week and mushroom season was just wrapping up. So there were definitely advantages to staying home. Mushroom season wasn't quite a bust this year but almost. Earlier at the start of the season, it was just too dry and gray morels were few and far between, so far that I didn't find a single one though I saw a couple pictures on the internet. Finally we got three or four days of moisture in a row but the temperatures were only in the 50's, too cold for the yellow morels to pop. Finally, still raining the temperatures got up into the mid 60's which is still too cold for a bumper crop of mushroom but enough to allow a few to pop here and there. We ended up with enough for a small mess of mushrooms for lunch one day and that was it. But as I am quick to say, a few morel mushrooms is better than no morel mushrooms.

Another plus to opting out of the Washington DC trip is that I have an inside scoop on where her next conference is and it is in a state I have never been too surrounded by warm Pacific waters on all sides and a long plane ride from here. Best of all, it will be in the throws of winter next January. Yes, I think that is the one I will go too!

6 comments:

sage said...

Although DC in spring is better than summer, but Hawaii in January sounds delightful.

Ed said...

Sage - Unfortunately, they missed the cherry blossoms. I think if I go back, I would go to DC in the winter when fewer tourists are there. I just hate crowds.

Kelly said...

You may remember from a few comments and photos on my blog that I do not like to eat mushrooms, but I love photos of them. This is wonderful! I've never seen one like that in my yard/woods.

Substitute "choir" for "band" and you'll have my only visit to Washington D.C. My clearest memory is giving a handbell performance in the Senate rotunda. One of our Senators at the time (William Fulbright) arranged it for us.

Ed said...

Kelly - Like I tell my kids, I'll never force anyone to eat morels. It just means more for me!

Bob said...

I was on that trip w Kelly but have been fortunate enough to return to D.C. numerous times since for business and pleasure. I still find it a terribly interesting city but it has changed so much. During the "old days" a person could walk right in most of the attractions. Today, a good bit of the trip is spent going through security lines, which is unfortunate but quite necessary. Still very much worth it though.

Ed said...

Bob - I always shake my head in amazement when having to go through security lines to get into State capitals and local court houses. Worse, I don't feel any safer for having done so.