Friday, April 29, 2016

Our First Jackson Pollock!


You can see the fifth door I was blathering about on the left shutting in what I refer to as the closet unit of the dresser, nightstand, closet combo that I made. Inside there is a retractable hook that can hold about a dozen shirts of any guest needing to use it.

The main purpose of this post is to show the new artwork we obtained for above our Murphy bed. Since we are too cheap to actually afford a real Jackson Pollock painting, we did the next best thing. I glued together some scraps of oak from this project and made a box frame over which I stretched some canvas that we had left over from a previous project. After tarping a large area and pouring some different colors of acrylic paint into various holes of an empty egg carton, I said go and turned the girls (age 9 and 3) loose. After 40 minutes of painting and an occasional rotation of the frame by me to allow for even access, this is what they came up with. I couldn't be more pleased.

7 comments:

sage said...

That's creative and I'm sure your girls loved creating it.

Kelly said...

What a fun idea! I bet they loved doing it and the end result is every bit as nice as an original (if not better).

Ed said...

Sage - They really did. I just wish the 3 year old had more concept about the permanence of paint. Fortunately it was acrylic so despite the spills beyond the acre of tarp I laid down, I was able to get it cleaned up.

Kelly - I thought it turned out really good. I'm not sure I want four or five of those throughout the house but one is definitely nice. I made a couple smaller ones that I'm going to let each paint one for their room with the idea that when they tire of it, they can paint over it again. A gift that keeps on giving so to speak.

kymber said...

Ed - think they did better than a real Jackson Pollock! and it looks great hanging above the bed. adds a really nice touch of colour!

sending love. your friend,
kymber

edifice rex said...

It all looks great! Painting included!

Vince said...

If only.

Bob said...

Looks really good and you can take pride knowing you have something like no one else!