Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Hanging Five of Them


Finishing is always tough mentally for me to get through. When I'm working in the garage making sawdust, gluing and clamping things together, there always seems to be progress at the end of the day. With finishing, I have to sand one side of the door, stain them and let that dry. Then I have to apply a coat of poly and let that dry. Then I need to repeat that operation two more times and let the door full cure for a day. Then I flip the door over and repeat all steps again. It takes a long time and at the end of the day, little is visible of my effort except for a few microscopically thin layers of invisible finish.

To make matters worse mentally, I don't really have room to do all the doors at once so I had to break them into two batches. I finally got the first batch of five doors done and hung, the four you see here and the lone door that goes to the closet until next to the murphy bed.

Things went well but I did have one problem. I made my face frame out of two inch wide material. A dimension I pulled out of the air as looking pleasing. At the time, I had no idea what kind of doors I would build but when it came time to build them, I calculated the door widths with an overlap 1/2" on all sides, a number that seemed solid and pleasing. What I didn't calculate was that it only left me an inch between sets of doors where the hinges were to go. The hinges I bought turned out to be slightly over 1/2" in width meaning that everything couldn't go together without interference. In the end, I pushed things together as tightly as possible and centered the four center doors seen above as well as possible. The two sets of doors that will go on either side won't lap the face frame evenly all the way around. It will be close to about 1/8" overlap on the hinge side closest to the center and 7/8" on the other side where because those hinges will be only next to a wall, they can eat up more of my two inch face frame space. It's hard to describe but it all makes sense NOW, after I have the doors nearly done.

As I write this, I will be applying the last coats of poly onto side one of the remaining doors so that perhaps later tomorrow, I can flip them and repeat all the steps again. Once those are hung, all the desk and murphy bed walls will have the woodwork complete. I can then turn my attention to more mundane details like trim, making some organizing units for desktop junk and turning my sights onto decorations. I have always had a dream that I've wanted to fulfill and I think I will write a post on that coming up soliciting your help.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

The patience involved in doing something like this (mainly the tedious things that have to be done in layers, waiting in between) is one of the reasons I couldn't be good at it. While I have tremendous patience in some areas, this is not one.

They look beautiful! (and you have me intrigued with your last statement)

Ed said...

Kelly - I had to look back to see what my last statement was and then for ten minutes, I couldn't remember what I was going to ask. I was feeling pretty stupid at that point but it came back to me so I think I'll get a rough draft going before I forget again!

sage said...

Nice work! I remembering finishing the wood on the sailboat I rebuilt--9 coats of spar varnish--it got old!