Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Onward Ho!


Well as you can tell I got the bookshelf and the dresser/nightstand/closet combo installed on either side of the Murphy bed. The installation went smoothly and as I had hoped, the screwing the Murphy bed to both the other pieces took care of the bowed plywood issue so now the gaps are even top to bottom.

I had two problems with the installation. The entire floor slopes from left to right which meant to keep things square, my dresser/nightstand/closet unit ended up a half inch taller than the Murphy bed. I plan on installing a piece of crown molding to hide that fact anyway. The other problem is that I didn't conceptualize how it would tie into the Murphy bed so it will have a door that is up higher than the false doors on the Murphy bed. I had planned to make them all visually line up across the top. Also, the piece of trim I so carefully cut and stained to fill in the gap on the bottom of the Murphy bed was a 1/2" short. Not sure how to explain that way except user error of the tape measure.


The above and below pictures are actually part of phase 4 of this remodel, building the drawers and doors. Through the grapevine, I learned of an Amish sawmill about 20 miles south of town that sells hardwood lumber much much cheaper than I can get it at my local big box store. Since I needed quite a bit of wood to build the drawer bodies and it doesn't have to be anything fancy, I went to check them out. I ended up with the stack of poplar lumber below that I paid $1.50 per board foot for. (One board foot is 144 square inches.) At the local big box store, it was closer to $5 per board foot for poplar. The drawback is that these are rough cut and have no finished sides where as the store versions are finished on all four sides.

In the end, I went with the rough but much cheaper stuff because I have the equipment to turn it into finished pieces without too much work involved and I wanted to establish a relationship so that they could be my lumber supplier for all my projects. The above picture is some jewelry boxes that were being made from quarter sawn sycamore. It looks like some sort of exotic wood but literally is growing all around us and by many considered somewhat of a junk tree. It was just one of over a dozen different varieties of woods they stocked that can't be purchased at the big box store.


8 comments:

Kelly said...

Despite the things you mention as "faults", I continue to be totally impressed by your skills. Each phase has looked good and the end result is going to be wonderful!

kymber said...

that is sooooo beautiful! your skills are pretty amazing Ed! and i will have to show jambaloney but i think he will be cutting you off for sure now - bahahah! jest teasin'! he'll be super-impressed too. that's an awful lot of work to get done as quickly as you have done it! he'll appreciate that you did it all on your own!

great job buddy! your friend,
kymber

Vince said...

Now that looks real good.

Ed said...

Kelly - Thank you!

Kymber - I don't feel there has been anything quick about this! I feel quite the opposite with summer coming on fast!

Vince - Thanks!

jambaloney said...

looks fantastic ed - you are a wizard with wood!!!!

Bob said...

Yes it's all quite impressive and beautiful. It's been incredibly fun to follow your progress along the way. Just think of those minor imperfections (to you) as your personal touch!

sage said...

Nice looking work, Ed.

Leigh said...

Ed, it looks beautiful! Well done. I'm sure it was a relief to stand back and see how it fits together so nicely.