Friday, March 4, 2016

More Lessons Learned


I have the solid oak face frames on both my closet/nightstand/dresser and the bookshelf. I used a combination of pocket hole screws which will be mostly hidden and just glue and clamps. Every time I do a project like this that requires a lot of clamps, I am thankful for the auction I hit up a year or two back where I bought a pile of clamps at about a 75% discount from new clamps. They were used which is why I think bidders eventually bowed to my raised hand but clamps are something that really don't technologically go obsolete and if made properly will last forever.

I mentioned this in an earlier post but somehow, my skilsaw got knocked off of perpendicular so it was actually cutting at a very slight angle, a fact I didn't notice until I was assembling the carcasses. I was able to square up everything and thought it was behind me but alas, I had to battle my mistake on the face frames. Because I wanted several areas of the face frame to be flush with the shelves for aesthetics sake, I couldn't build them separately as I did last time. I had to build them in place one piece at a time. As a result, I didn't catch it again in time and some of the cross members on the closet/nightstand/dresser above don't lay perfectly flat to the other members. Some I sanded out and most will be covered by the door but still visible when the doors are open.

However, I learned from my mistake and on the book case below, I temporarily attached the side pieces and then used it along with clamps to glue in the shelf stiffener pieces so that they are level despite the fronts of my plywood shelves  being at a slight angle. When the glue dried, I removed the clamps and the side pieces and then glued them in place and used long clamps to squeeze everything together. To the observer, it will look perfect even if I know the truth. Had I just double checked my skilsaw first, none of this would have been necessary but that is how wood working goes. I wouldn't want it to be too perfect anyone otherwise someone would accuse me of buying it already assembled.


2 comments:

sage said...

Looking good!

Kelly said...

Amazing how one tiny error can make a difference - but probably only to your discerning eye. I bet the average person wouldn't notice.