Monday, March 28, 2016

Bonus Project


Awhile back, I mentioned that we were voted into a gourmet dining group that gets together three or four times a year. Besides not having any formal dining dinnerware one of the problems I mentioned was that our table was just too short to comfortably seat ten people, the number of people in the group. Others in our group have this problem but have gotten other tables, from nice wood ones down to card tables to slide next to their regular table to make it long enough. I had a half sheet of leftover plywood from my projects and rather than slide it along the wall where it would surely get beat up, I decided to make an extension for our table. Underneath the surface you see, I cut some strips of plywood up to make a box with some stiffening elements to it to keep the plywood surface flat. I then made two legs to screw to one end and some stop blocks to allow me to clamp it to the underneath side of our existing table. Although it will be under a tablecloth, I stained it in case someday I ever want to screw on two more legs and make it a free standing table. Now with the two foot additional leaf and this three foot extension, our table now clocks in at 11 feet long and can comfortably sit ten with ease and twelve if you really push it. Our turn to host a gourmet dinner is in less than two months.

6 comments:

kymber said...

gret work on the table. but when you guys host, i want pics of the meal, a full run-down on the menu and pics of the table setting. i love the idea of supper groups!

sending much love! your friend,
kymber

Ed said...

Kymber - I will definitely do a post on it when the time comes. Supper groups are so fun, especially with people you enjoy talking too.

Kelly said...

What an excellent and practical idea!! I'm with Kymber - I want photos and details when your time comes to host!

Glad to see you survived Spring Break.

Bob said...

Great job and what resourceful use of the extra wood. I know there will be many delicious meals enjoyed there.

Leigh said...

Clever! And all that new blog fodder when you tell us all about those glorious meals. :)

Ed said...

Kelly - Thanks! It was a beautiful trip and I'll have some posts up on it shortly.

Bob - Although it will be a lot of work on our part as hosts, I am definitely looking forward to it.

Leigh - Blog fodder is right! If I had a dollar for every time I've leaned over and said to my wife that something would make a good blog post...