Monday, February 29, 2016

Plan Three


When everything is done, I would like the Murphy bed and accompanying furniture to look built in to match the built in office on the other side of the room but not so built in that I can't take it with me if we move someday. Previously this room had two prehistoric looking and functioning closets. They were deep and thus took up lots of room but were not walk-in and only had one pole across to hang stuff on. The sides and back were thinly paneled concrete so there really wasn't much to anchor any new shelving easily. We removed all that which makes the room seem much larger now but lost some potential storage.

Making a small closet next to the Murphy bed isn't a simple challenge. The Murphy bed itself isn't deep enough to accommodate a traditional hanger for guests to hang up cloths. In reality, I should say for my wife to use as a spare closet when guests are not using the room. The space is barely wide enough to accommodate a hanger put in sideways. I scratched my brain and searched the internet awhile for perpendicular closet rod which wasn't really helpful until I finally hit upon a page that had what are called valet hangers. It was exactly what I needed. I did another search using that term and soon had a valet hanger that can hold up to 35 pounds of clothes in the orientation I need and then can collapse flat when not needed. Perfect. So I then proceeded designing the closet/dresser/nightstand you see above. The top part will have a door and be the closet part. The middle part will be open to the wall and be the night stand part. The lower part will eventually house two drawers and be the dresser part... all in one compact little unit. I will use plywood box and face frame construction like I did the office cabinets so everything looks half way matching. I now have four more sheets of plywood waiting in my garage to start building this and the bookshelf that will go on the other side.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

A clever solution. This is all going to look SO good!

Ed said...

Kelly - Compared to the Tiny House folks, it is big and bulky but for my smallish house, it will hopefully be just right.

Bob said...

It's all taking shape isn't it? Give yourself a pat on the back now for encouragement, then another one when it's done (along with a well-deserved celebratory beer - I would say a bottle of champagne but you seem more of a beer man)!

Ed said...

Bob - I've been having celebratory beers along the way! I am mostly a nice scotch on the rocks kind of guy but I've been branching out lately to wines. I'm not a big beer guy but I have been found a blueberry beer that I really like and that is what I've been celebrating with.