Monday, February 1, 2016

Meeting Murphy


There are two components to the Murphy bed I am making. The first and most complex to make is the actual bed support that holds the mattress, folds in and out and contains the decorative trim so that it appears to be something other than a folded up mattress along a wall. The second piece is the cabinet which the folding part folds up into. Above is the first part most complete. I still need to get a couple sheets of 1/4" plywood to screw to the struts for the mattress to sit upon but haven't yet done so. The headboard which prevents the mattress from crashing to the floor when folded up and the footboard which prevents the mattress from sliding out when folded down are made from solid wood as are the struts in the middle. The side boards and the face are made from cabinet grade plywood with a veneer strip covering the exposed and unattractive edge. The side boards take most of the stress of the whole contraption and thus be made out of plywood which is much stronger than solid wood believe it or not.

Below is the bottom side of what you see in the above picture and is the side you will see when it is folded up into the cabinet. I bought some 1/2" lumber to divide it up into panels to make if blend with the future doors to my office cabinetry I have yet to make. In this picture I just finished staining it but haven't  yet applied the polyurethane. I will probably just do a couple coats to protect it and not apply the ten coats that I put on my desk surface to make it smoother like glass. I would have liked to apply the stain and poly in the relatively dust free confines of my office but I'm not man enough to carry that down there myself... nor even with my wife's help. So since it will be a few days before I can line up the help to get it carried down, I am just staining it in the garage and will have to do a little sanding in-between coats to keep it as smooth as possible. I think since I'm doing this in my garage, I might as well install the carpet in the office since I'm done with any construction work there although I will replace the door first. The door is a hollow core door that somebody has put their shoulder into hard enough to break it. It functions just barely as a door but since we haven't ever shut it other than to keep the dust down recently, it hasn't been a concern. With guests due to use this as a bedroom here in a handful of months, I need to get a new one.

Once I get the carpet installed and this piece carried down and into place, I can turn my attention to the cabinet part which is much simpler to make and shouldn't take too long.


8 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh, wow - this is coming right along! It's going to look so nice, too! I'm really impressed. :)

Ed said...

Kelly - Progress is key. The punch list is gradually getting smaller but it is still quite long. Fortunately, the rest of the components I need to make for the Murphy bed are fairly easy other than the long process of applying the finish. I still have a small closet/nightstand thing to make and a bookshelf but they should be a combination of all the techniques I have used thus far.

Vince said...

So the springs go up into the boxing of the bed itself. Not to the side. So the springs are flexed when the bed is down and relaxed when up ?. Murphy was a bright spark. He's basically made a ram.

Looking pretty good.

sage said...

Good work, I was thinking this had something to do with Murphy's law and wonder if there is any correlation between that the law and bed? :)

Ed said...

Vince - It actually runs with gas shocks and they attach between the outside of this box that I built and the closet part that I have yet to build. When the bed is pulled down, a vacuum is essentially pulled inside the shock so that when you lift up, the force of the vacuum assists in lifting the weight of the bed.

Sage - I never thought about the law. Now I'm curious as to why they are called Murphy beds. Back from Wikipedia, it was named after a William Lawrence Murphy who was trying to woo a opera singer but lived in a one room apartment and moral code at the time prevented him from entertaining ladies in his bedroom. So he came up with the bed to convert his bedroom to a parlor during the daytime.

Vince said...

I thought there ws two big springs either side. But it seems with most of them there's a battery of them both sides. Short ones, maybe 10 inches flexed.

kymber said...

i just showed this latest masterpiece to jambaloney and he said he is not leaving you any more comments because he is jealous as heck with your skill! niether of us can believe your level of skill - you make the most beautiful pieces!

your friend,
kymber

Ed said...

Kymber - We all have our talents and I am in awe at some of Jambaloney's creations. I have a post in the works that I thought specifically of him that should be up perhaps next week.