Friday, January 15, 2016

Some Wood and a Plan


I cheated a bit. I watched some Youtube videos on making your own cabinets so now I think I know what I'm doing. I decided I would start with making the upper cabinets that will go along one wall. I am going to make a face frame out of solid oak and the plan for that is below. The rest of the construction will be cabinet B2 grade veneer plywood which has a fairly nice face and the veneer makes it strong when combined with pocket screws which is what I'm planning on using. Since these are custom built cabinets, I decided to skip using standard 36" sizing on the two end cabinets and instead size them so the doors for all the upper cabinets will be the exact same width which will simplify construction. I'm going to make this one solid unit and then hopefully using some jacks and wood to help, lift it into place and fasten it to the wall in one go. This will help ease the alignment and fastening issues of one person working alone and will also help factor out any inconsistencies in my drywall job since I can shim it as I fasten it.


Although I have used plywood box and face frame techniques before, this will be the first time I have use pocket hole screws to hold everything together, especially on the face frame. I especially wanted to do it on the face frame so I can try the fit first before building the rest of the boxes and if necessary, take things apart to tweak it. I plan on showing more on that process as I go along. If all goes well with this part, then I plan on continuing the same process in building a Murphy bed, two lower cabinets that the desk will rest on and a bookcase. I'm hoping our late winter is like our early winter and fairly warm to make working out in the garage more enjoyable because I'm going to be spending quite a bit of time out there over the next month or two.


3 comments:

Kelly said...

Actually, it's pretty amazing what you can glean from YouTube videos.

Bob said...

Cheating?! I think not! It's a readily available resource and you're wise to make use of it. I am looking forward to watching your progress, especially the Murphy bed.

Ed said...

Kelly - I have learned a lot over the years from YouTube. It is my first stop when I ask how do I.....

Bob - I received the metal parts for the bed in the mail the other day but haven't yet opened up the box. In real time, I am still finishing up work on the lower cabinets and then once they are stained, I think I will work on the Murphy bed.