Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Marco Rubio


One of the bad things about living in Iowa is our first in the nation caucuses. It means we are flooded with phone calls, television ads, emails and such all making sure that we get out and vote next week on February 1rst. One of the good things about living in Iowa is our first in the nation caucuses. It means we are also flooded with personal appearances from the candidates and allows us to get to know them more personally.

Last fall, the street in front of my house was closed so Hillary Clinton could visit my neighbors house. Since then, I think every candidate save for maybe one or two have visited town. Most of the time, I haven't been able to go see them due to their schedule or mine. However, a few weeks ago, my parents who are lifelong democrats called to see if I wanted to go see Donald Trump with them. My dad said something along the lines that he missed Woodstock and didn't want to miss seeing the Trump. I like watching a good train wreck so I jumped at the chance. On a blustery cold Saturday, two hours before the event was to even start, we showed up and froze our butts off in line waiting to be let into the event. Due to a misunderstanding, I didn't have a reserved ticket but my parents did so they eventually made it inside only to find out that the room where Trump was to speak had been closed by the fire marshal due to being at capacity. They opted to leave and since I was in the have no ticket line, I left with them. Relieved a bit but also disappointed.

So last week when I learned Senator Marco Rubio was coming to town, I signed up for my advance ticket and arrived two hours early. This time it was a Monday morning and though it was a Federal holiday, most people were still at work so it was a much smaller crowd. I could have sat in the front row but I knew cameras were going to be all over that area so I set one row back and eventually got to hear the man speak. He is very articulate, a word that I'm not sure Trump even knows what it means.

Immigration reform is high on my punch list of concerns for the next president and I was curious at to Rubio's position on it. He is a first generation American so has lived it personally as I have with my foreign born wife. He agrees with most republicans that after extensive checks, many illegal immigrants here should be given a work permit so that they can start paying taxes and live here legally. However, he goes a step further and thinks that if they can prove they are productive inhabitants of our country and pay the penalty for breaking our laws, that they should have a path to permanent resident status. However, before we get going to far down that path, we have to get our borders in order or otherwise, as soon as the 12 million or so people already here get processed, it won't be long before 12 million more illegal immigrants have taken up their place.

Health care reform is also high on my list and he addressed it well. He favors a healthcare system that takes care of those that were uninsurable under our previous system. But he thinks that for those who can be insured, our health insurance should look a little bit like our car insurance. You can't watch live television for very long before you see numerous ads for car insurance companies promising us more coverage for less cost. Why? Because they compete. He wants to make it so we can get health care from any insurance company in the United States and thus make them compete for our business.

There were several things I didn't completely agree with Senator Rubio on such as his promise to overturn every single one of the Current Occupants executive orders. Although I'm sure there are more than several that need to be burned, I think it is probably a waste of time and probably can't be done legally other than to issue new orders over ruling old orders which really doesn't solve the problem of presidents MAKING legislation.

I also don't agree with Rubio's assertion that we need to go to war against ISIS and lead the Sunni's to defeat them. I've had enough of war. We've been at war nearly half my life already and really, I can't see that we are better off now than we were back then. We just can't sit back either so I understand that something needs to be done but I'm just not sure American boots on the ground leading the charge is the best solution.

Overall, I enjoyed listening to Senator Rubio and feel that he is a very charismatic gentleman and would probably serve the office of Currant Occupant very well if he gets elected. Although I haven't made up my mind, more than likely I will be voting for him come next Monday and then I can sit back and enjoy the silence while you all from other states get your chance at the political noise.

Word of warning to those who are familiar with this blog in past elections. I have 100% record of shaking the hand of the candidate who ends up being president and I did shake Rubio's hand. For those newer to this blog, my record consists only of Obama so take it with a grain of salt!

6 comments:

sage said...

I went to see Sanders mainly because I didn't want my daughter running around downtown Savannah alone at night... But I was glad I did. Although I don't agree with a lot of his ideas, Rubio does seem to be articulate (and for Trump, being articulate or communicating for that matter, means being LOUD). Of the leading candidates in the Republican side, he'd be a better choice than Trump or Cruz. Personally, I'd like to see a moratorium on first term senators running for the Presidency.

Ed said...

Every time Sanders has been here, three times I think, I've had something going on. I still have a chance to see Santorum, Christie and Bill Clinton. I like going to political rallies if I am free. I was kind of excited to hear Bloomberg might run as an Independent. I'm worried my choice may be between Sanders and Trump and that would give me a more palatable option.

Kelly said...

I always say I'm not going to involve myself in any political discussions, but oh well...

I try not to form too many opinions at this point. It's just far too soon. It's easier to wait until there are just two candidates (or three, if Bloomberg jumps in - and I really, really don't like him, so I hope that doesn't happen) before I start listening, researching, and deciding who best fits my needs. Unfortunately, there's never a "one size fits all" candidate.

Ed said...

Kelly - I don't like to get involved in political discussions as well when face to face. People tend to be so ingrained in their political ideology that it is hard to have a rational discussion. However, I find talking politics on a blog setting is much more enjoyable although it too have get out of control pretty easily if not narrowly confined to a specific topic. I do often get mislabeled when talking politics on line since I am fiscally conservative, pro enviroment, for a smaller government, against us being global cops, etc. I consider myself independent but have been labeled a liberal and a tea party member. I take those as a badge of honor.

I used to just wait until it was down to the two main party candidates and then decide who I was going to vote for but I always felt as if I was voting for the lesser of two evils. About a decade and a half ago or so, I finally made the decision that I had more influence if I got involved earlier on in the selection process and since that time, I've taken part in every caucus. In our state, we have to register with the party to take part in the process and at that time I switched my political affiliation from Independent to Republican though I don't consider myself the latter. It just seems as if I can find more moderate Republicans than moderate Democrats in my area that are close enough to my political beliefs to make me feel good for voting for them on caucus night.

Bob said...

Ed thanks so much for giving us a glimpse into the Iowa caucus from an insider. I'm an independent voter who usually leans Republican but, like you, I enjoy following the various candidates. I've mellowed a lot over the years. I lived in Arkansas when Clinton was elected both times and I am NOT a fan. Nor am I a fan of Hillary. Although I still find it all very interesting, I don't get worked up over it anymore. We are pretty much ignored here in Tennessee anyway, being solidly red.

Ed said...

Bob - I have to admit, I voted for Bill Clinton not once but twice. I was a little bit younger back then and my views have changed quite a bit so I don't think I would have voted for him today. I'm pretty sure his playing the saxophone on Saturday Night Live had just as much weight for my vote as his political views. That and I wasn't a fan of Bush Sr and still am not today, nor his sons.

Although I think Iowa is still probably considered a swing state, we've been blue the last two elections despite a Republican governor, the longest serving governor in history. I would be surprised if we went red this year in the election but there is a lot that can change between now and November.