Friday, November 20, 2015

Building a Flatware Chest


Well I finished my project which as you can see is a flatware chest. As a brief recap for those of you new to my blog, a few months ago my wife and I were invited to a formal dinning group where about once a year, we entertain four other couples in our home and fix a formal meal. My wife and I being fiscally conservative people, have been eating off the same chipped and well used plates we got when we were first married and our flatware were all garage sale/auctions specials that we have picked up over the years. Definitely not up to snuff for such an occasion not to mention, I don't even think we had enough to set a ten place setting without resorting to plastic.

Now it is easy to shell out a lot of money of flatware, especially if you get the real silver kind but it made no sense to us. So we picked out a economical stainless set that looks nice but didn't break the bank. Unfortunately we didn't have any place to store them except in the cardboard box they came in. I got to thinking that I could make a box to store them in and make them look much finer than they actually are all in one go. So I built a flatware chest. There weren't any plans for flatware chests that I could find online but I did find a nice looking humidor/jewelry chest plans that I thought I could scale up and refine for my needs. It was also a different style of building small boxes than I have done in the past. Most of mine have been using dovetail or rabbit joinery. This one involved using mitered corners and splines along with veneer for the top surface which I have never used before. Although the process for building the box took a lot more time, I think it ended up nice and it is definitely a style I will attempt again someday when a need for a box arises.

10 comments:

sage said...

Nice work!

Kelly said...

This really turned out great! (I'm thinking you could have a business on the side...) I hope we'll see photos of everything in use (china, flatware, and maybe some food?) when you get around to hosting.

I had a photo of my stainless on my blog several years ago. It has little Winnie the Pooh heads on it. Trust me, it's not as bad as it sounds.

Ed said...

Sage - Thanks.

Kelly - I do plan to take a picture when it is our turn to host. Not sure when it is at this point and the last event of this year is this weekend at another couple's house. I still have things to do before it arrives as our current table with extension only seats eight and that is a tight squeeze. I need to make some sort of extension and also pick up four more chairs at an auction or somewhere so I don't have guests on old folding chairs that are stained and ripped from years of use.

Bob said...

This is great, Ed. Beautiful. If you ever want to make another one, I'm buying! Your dinner group sounds so cool. Don't stress over your plates, table, chairs, etc. when it's your turn. My wife taught me this a long time ago. Use what you have and go with it, even if it means putting up a card table at the end of your dining table and throwing a table cloth over it and/or using mix-and-match dishes. What's important is the warmth and connection everyone feels as they break bread with you in your home. Trust me on this.

kymber said...

i would never ask for the silverware...but didn't you promise me the box???

it's beautiful Ed! and yes, jambaloney is having an extremely hard time working with brand new lumber - bahahahah! he thought your comment was pretty funny!

and when you guys host i want full details and pics of the menu items!

but now back to the box...when should i expect to be receiving it?

sending much love to you and yours! your friend,
kymber

Ed said...

Bob - The group that we joined started out as a formal dining group among five couples. We live in rural Iowa and formal dining options are almost non-existent. So they started this as a way to use their fine china that they got when they were married and pride themselves on their table setup. We being the youngest couple at the table by a couple decades, never got any china when we got married so when we were invited, we had to invest in some to live up to the implied expectations of the group. If it was just a group of five couples we knew getting together, I would definitely go the card table route. However, I suspect doing so with this group would get us uninvited.

Kymber - I will get on that box, right after I get our house fully remodeled... perhaps in a decade or two!

Leigh said...

Beautiful box! Well done. Funny how the "packaging" makes all the difference in the world.

Ed said...

Leigh - You're right. Wrap the utensils in some cardboard and shrink wrap and it would be something you can find at Walmart!

Vince said...

Lovely.

Ed said...

Vince - I was pleased with the results.