Friday, October 23, 2015

Farm Scenes


When I'm hauling in grain from the fields, I generally don't have time to stop and smell the roses. By the time I get the empty wagons I just brought back situated near the combine so that the catch wagon can efficiently empty and get back to the combine before it is full again and yet not too close to be in the way of the combine, there are wagons already full ready to be hauled back home. I unhook one, hook up to the next and take off again. However, at the beginning of the day when we all convoy out to the field, I have a few minutes while the combine is shelling enough corn to fill the first wagon up and I sometimes take this time to hop off the tractor and take a few photos with my camera phone. In this post I have attached a few of the better ones that I took

Above is a photo of an unusual grain bin I have never seen before. It is actually on a farm that my parents bought last fall when the original deal to another person fell through. The other person who wanted to buy it couldn't get the financing and there were just a few days left before the owners (inheritors after the owner died) needed money and were looking for someone who could do a cash deal. My parents could and did. This is why this grain bin was new to me though it has obviously been around for awhile. This grain bin was oblong and had an opening in the middle so you could drive through and load up a wagon with whatever was being stored in there, most likely cattle feed.


One of my secret guilty pleasures is to lie down in a corn field on a clear blue sky day. I love to listen to the rustle of the corn stalks and see them waving in the clear blue sky. It is very relaxing. Unfortunately, I only seem to get a minute or two and then it is back to work or getting out of the way of a combine coming towards my "bed". Below is another shot in the middle of the corn field showing the space between two rows of corn and a sea of corn beyond. This particular field was making 200 bushels of corn per acres which was really good for our area of the world with poor soil type.


On day four of helping my parents, we were nearing the end of getting the final "long haul" field done and weren't working quite as hard. More on that in another post. We finished and by the time I got the last wagon hauled in, got the tractor fueled and put away and got in my car, I had about 45 minutes of daylight left. My wife and kids had been down to pick apples from the orchard earlier but ran out of time to get pears which were over in an old orchard on another farm my parents own. I grabbed a few sacks and drove over there to pick some pears from a gigantic pear tree that was absolutely loaded full of pears. It stands probably 40 feet tall and as you can see below, full of pears. I picked three grocery sacks full from just the lower branches but had to be careful. If I shook the tree to hard pulling off a pear, four more pears from up above would fall like baseballs around me. I wish I had a hard hat on but I didn't and so I was constantly dodging falling pears. With the last of the sun now below the horizon, I loaded up my pears and drove home.


8 comments:

sage said...

Pear preserves in the future?

Ed said...

Sage - Probably not. I've got a lot already and we don't go through much in a year. I have made a pear crisp and currently am dehydrating a bunch of the pears. I may freeze a few for later whatever we decide.

Kelly said...

Look at all those pears! That's something I hated as a kid, but love now and have some great recipes for. Yum! I got beaned by an acorn while composting the other day and considering how badly that hurt, I'd have been dodging the falling pears, too.

Great photos and really an odd grain bin. I've never seen anything like it.

Ed said...

Kelly - I'm guessing it was one of those "new" things of the future sold to farmers 80 years ago that just never panned out judging from the lack of them around.

Vince said...

I kept wondering just where that came up with the design for the barn and I kept returning to the 1950s and the advent of aluminium in military planes. But you'd really have to wonder at the cushion corners, and the horizontal sheet panels. It's way easier to lay and attach, long side up simply because the rivets/bolts can be driven on handed. But those corners are truly a lovely sumptuous addition. I wonder if there's a 'scientific' reason, like having less drag in a big wind, or is it really a statement of art.
Lots of fruit, pity you don't home brew/distil.

Easy to see how the point and shoot camera market dropped down a well when yo see the quality of those shots.

Ed said...

Vince - Although I have been unable to find out exactly what it is, I'm guessing it is a grain bin and a cousin of modern grain bins used today. When building a modern grain bin, all the panels are corrugated and curved so that you complete a full ring and then put the roof on it. Then you attach bin jacks and lift that up in the air high enough to add the second ring down from the top and keep repeating using heavier gauge steel as you go down until you get the height that you desire. They were rounded by design to allow for better storage because grain tends to spoil in corners and also they are harder to waterproof than a gentle curve. It is also easier to clean. Modern grain bins are completely around and have "sweeps" that run along the bottom and pull the grain from the edges to the center so that there is virtually no shoveling needed to finish cleaning the bin.

Leigh said...

That pear trees looks fantastic. I love pears better than apples.

We've been harvesting corn too, but it's only about a quarter acre so it's all by hand. It really isn't ready yet though because we planted too late. That means I've got a make-do corn crib in use in hopes of keeping the harvest.

Ed said...

Leigh - The Amish around our farm are hard at work hand picking their corn too. I hand pick some but just enough for the local squirrel population!