Friday, September 11, 2015

Sleep Laughing

No big surprise to reveal in this post but I have dreams. Also like most people, I don't remember them for the most part. There are rare exceptions to this. Once while taking a drug during an illness as a teenager, one of the side effects was vivid dreaming and man they weren't kidding. The two that I can still remember was riding with my mom on a ferris wheel after she had been mummified and trying to get my younger brother out from a crack in the couch where he was stuck. I know the last one doesn't really make sense but it was absolutely terrifying at the time. After waking up in cold sweats a couple nights in the row, something I have never done before or since, it got to the point where I tried to stay up as long as possible to prevent them from occurring. On the other end of the spectrum, I occasionally have a dream so memorable, that I do remember them long enough to commit them to memory... or this blog. Recently however, I had a completely different kind of dream.

It was probably three or four in the morning and I woke myself up laughing hysterically. I quickly realized what I was doing and stopped but I felt that tickle in my chest one gets when very amused at something. I didn't want to wake up my wife but I knew she would get a kick out of what had caused me to laugh myself awake. I dozed off to sleep again thinking I would tell her in the morning and we could both laugh about my dream.

A few days later, my wife asked me what had been so funny that I had laughed myself awake.  She had heard me after all. Unfortunately, I had forgotten what had been so funny in my dreams but I still couldn't help but getting that tickle in my chest when she mentioned it. Subconsciously my mind must still remember. Although I wouldn't mind having dreams so funny that I laugh myself awake, I'm not sure my wife would like being in the same bed or even same room with someone randomly laughing hysterically in the middle of the night.

6 comments:

sage said...

Laughing dreams are nice but not that often, at least for me. Mine are not generally "nightmares" but I only occasionally remember laughing. I do try to write down dreams in the morning (and sometimes will get up and write down the dream in the middle of the night).

Ed said...

Sage - That was my first laughing dream so I expect to be in my mid 80's before I get the next one at this rate! My most common dream is about home remodeling. I'm working on a project during the day and dreaming about doing it at night. Not the most relaxing kind of dream for sure.

Kelly said...

I've been a vivid dreamer my entire life and have learned that if I want to remember them to share, I must think back over all the finer points immediately upon wakening. Of course they often don't make sense, but at least I remember them. While I wouldn't say they are nightmares (I've had a few of those), many are vaguely unpleasant and I'm usually happy to wake up.

My youngest child is a lucid dreamer. I can't do that, but I can sometimes go back to a dream and pick up where I left off after getting up during the night.

Dreams are funny things and in your case, evidently quite literally. I've woken up crying a few times (something I rarely do while awake), but never laughing.

Vince said...

I find if I've eaten something that doesn't agree with me will cause vivid dreams. I suppose there's little point in saying to you if it continues you should get it checked out.

Leigh said...

Dan has asked me that on occasion after I awoke, but I could only draw a mental blank! Who knows what we're laughing at. :)

Ed said...

Kelly - I can sometimes pick up a good dream where I left off but not often.

Vince - I wouldn't mind having more vivid dreams as long as they fell on the good side. Unfortunately, my dreams seem to fall in the generic category.

Leigh - The funniest thing in the world... if only we could remember what it was.