Wednesday, September 16, 2015

How I'm Going To Miss Them


Since I still haven't gotten our garden started and by started, I mean protected from the hordes of deer who rove through our backyard looking for anything green to eat, we have made due with a large planter box on our deck since the deer haven't figured out how to go up the flight of stairs to reach it. Due to the size, we mainly planted some salad veggies in the spring and some pepper plants and spices to use during the summer. We planted a whole bunch of tomatoes down on the farm but those died of blight this year so we got less than a half dozen quarts of sauce to get us through the remainder of the year, which was six more than we had last year. Since we were hoping for a lot of sauce tomatoes from the farm, we planted one single cherry tomato plant in our deck planter box. Unlike the other tomatoes, it thrived.

We have had cherry tomatoes now for over two and a half months. We eat them in salads, just snack on them whenever we are out on the deck, made them into tarts that got rave reviews where ever we took them, and many other things. However as fall descends upon us, it was on its last limbs and we wanted more salad veggies so we picked the last of the tomatoes off of it and my wife concocted up the bruschetta you see above. It was a very delicious sendoff to our dear departed cherry tomato plant. It is going to be a long winter without them.

7 comments:

sage said...

I am now getting hungry-those little treats look good--and lunch is 2 hours away!

Vince said...

They look really tasty. Try to get some heritage varieties next year, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

ErinFromIowa said...

I have a great love for maters. Especially acidic cherry tomatoes. <3

Kelly said...

That's one of the sad things about winter...no tomatoes fresh from the garden. We struggled with ours this year.

I like cherry tomatoes for snacking and I think the best I've ever had were some we grew last summer called Snow Whites. They were divine!

Ed said...

Sage - They were. We had them with a bottle of wine.

Vince - I would like to but I would have to build a greenhouse to grow them from seed and the local nurseries don't stock heritage varieties in the cherry tomato variety.

Erin - I find a deck chair next to the planter where I planted it worked out well so I can sit and eat them at my leisure!

Kelly - Our regular tomatoes that we planted down at my parent's farm did horrible too. Blight got them early. I've been reading on planting tomatoes in strawbales which helps get them off the ground and prevent blight. I might try that next year to see how it works.

Vince said...

Actually I don't think you do need to buy a glasshouse. They aren't nearly as delicate as the current lot. You might try making a tall or double decker closh. Just using the glass for the top. You'd have to start them on a window inside one way or another.

Leigh said...

The last of the tomatoes is always a sad occasion!