Friday, September 18, 2015

Getting There


Above is a picture I took of this part of the house when we were looking at it for the second time to ponder how much we were going to offer. There was a slight weed problem going on above the retaining wall, some vines growing up the side of the house that had already partially destroyed the siding over there and though it wasn't really a problem, a garage door that we never used. We never used the door partly because the floor there was all heaved and buckled and it was smack dab in the middle of the best area for my assortment of woodworking and house remodeling tools. In fact, for two and a half years, I had a piece of plywood nailed over it on the inside.

Other than removing the door, vines, weeds and then residing the house, we've pretty much left the backside of our house un-landscaped. In fact, other than planting the trees I'm growing in my makeshift tree nursery on the back deck, I really didn't have plans to do anything back there this year. As the saying goes, the best laid plans go to waste. We saw some ultra cheap raspberry plants on sale at the local nursery and snagged up a bunch to plant in this area. It gets a fair amount of sun during the summer but not much at all during the winter. I don't know if they will grow and thrive or not but it was well worth the try.

Unfortunately, I couldn't just plant the raspberries among the weeds that grow back there since there isn't much grass so I had to go get some edging, lots of mulch, landscape cloth and even a load of stone blocks to make it look better. Previous occupants had put up some small landscaping timbers as a barrier to hold back the dirt at the end of the retaining wall which as the saying goes, is like pissing into the wind. Useless in other words. I dug them out and replaced them with stone which should do much better.

Eventually we will plant some more stuff back here to fill it out but I need to find deer resistant stuff because I often see them back here grazing. The worst part about getting this part done is that now we have about a third of the backside of our house landscaped which makes the other two thirds look even worse than it is... and it was pretty bad looking to begin with. But before I do that, I have a pretty big concrete project to correct some water drainage issues which did so some water damage on the old siding we tore off and replaced. I don't think I will get that done until next summer. I really didn't have it in the budget to do it this year and as wet as it was until the last couple weeks, it wouldn't have been the year to tackle it.

5 comments:

sage said...

Nice work!

Ed said...

Sage - I hope to one day enjoy the fruits of my labor!

ErinFromIowa said...

That looks much better! I hope you enjoy the fruits of your labor berry soon. :)

Leigh said...

What an improvement. I hope the raspberries do well for you. This was the first year in about five that I actually got a small harvest. It was only half a pint, but I'm encouraged for next year!

Ed said...

Erin - So far, the deer have left them alone but I expect that is merely an oversight on their part.

Leigh - I guess I didn't read how long it would take before we could expect a berry crop. I do know they had about four berries between all the plants and my share came to one. It was very sweet.