Friday, July 31, 2015

Forgotten Barns: Part 7


I think this is my new favorite barn. I spotted it several weeks ago as we took the back roads to someplace we were heading and I've been jonesing to go back ever since and grab a few photos of it. It brings chills to me at how beautiful it must have been in its prime and tears that it is simply being allowed to fall apart and fall down. I would love to crawl up into the upper stories and check out what the view out those windows must be like.


From this angle you can see that it is actually two barns, with the other one, probably the one closest to the road, being added later and matched to the first one. Unlike many barns, it is still on an occupied homestead so I'm guessing it's fate is simply a money issue for the occupants. I can't blame them because it is a lot of area to reshingle and repaint to keep it in good shape. If it sat on my property, I think I would go broke trying to do just that because a barn that beautiful deserves to be saved.


Although parts of Iowa is fairly flat, it still doesn't mean you have views, especially in summer. A lot of times all you see is corn and sky which makes it hard to spot barns off in the distance. I came across the scene below which most certainly had a barn once upon a time but now just has the stub of a feed silo and an old windmill. Though there was a slight breeze, the windmill was silent, most likely rusted in place for the rest of its natural life.


5 comments:

sage said...

That is a nice barn but also would be very expensive to keep up...

Rich said...

I bet there's enough water damage from the roof not being maintained that you wouldn't want to park anything very close to it. I'd probably be holding my breath and looking up at it to see if anything was moving whenever I was mowing right next to it.

I've read stories about barns like that where people come out of the house in the morning and the barn has just fallen down in the night.

Ed said...

Sage - It certainly would. Makes me wonder what the owner who built the thing did for a living.

Rich - Yeah I certainly wouldn't want to want inside on a windy day. Even on a calm day I think I would be risking a lot just to see inside.

Vince said...

That barn is quite a magnificent building. I expect its a devil to heat though.

edifice rex said...

Wow!! that barn is incredible. Never seen anything anywhere even near that size. It is a shame that it is not being maintained but you can sympathize that would be a heckuva chore.