Monday, July 27, 2015

Blew Out My Flip Flop


But unlike Jimmy, I didn't do it stepping on a pop top. No. I evidently did it while sitting at a table. I went to move my feet just a little and felt a weird sensation in my left sandal. When I bent down to closer inspect it, my heart fell when I saw the sole separation. Not only because this will be the third pair of shoes I've replaced this month, but because these were my Teva sandals and the longest pair of anything that goes on my feet that I've owned and worn regularly.

It started out when my regular tennis shoes split the fabric near the toe of one of the shoes. They were probably only a couple years old but that seems par for the course anymore. They just don't make shoes to last very long. Then literally the week after I bought a replacement pair, my dress shoes lost their sole eerily similar to my Teva sandals. I bought a replacement for them on Saturday and then on Monday this happened.

According to the sole of my Teva sandals, they are 25 years old. They've been with me on many trips to the mountains where they were used to fjord mountain streams while staying solidly attached to my feet. They've been on numerous hikes where the conditions range from rocky to wet and muddy. I've floated down many a stream in a canoe with them hanging over the sides tempting big fish. Best of all, every summer for 25 years they have been my go to shoe for casual living.

I decided that I wanted a pair just like them but when I fired up the computer, that model has sadly been discontinued, probably a couple decades ago. I could find only a few pictures and links to web pages saying they no longer carry them in stock. I could find many other types of Teva sandals but all had gone to strictly Velcro which is you ever use for long periods of time in a river environment, means you and your Teva may soon be parted. It also means that getting in and out of your sandal means undoing and redoing a velcro strap which doesn't wear nearly as many cycles as the plastic buckles that were on my Teva sandals.

After much looking, I finally found one model that although it had Velcro straps for adjusting fit, it had one buckle around the front of your ankle for easy in and out access so you aren't wearing out the Velcro. I'm not sure how well they will do in river situations should one arise in the future but I'm hoping since the Velcro will hopefully still be in good condition since I will use the one buckle, that it will be able to stay closed and remain on my foot. I'm expecting that Teva, live everybody else, has cheapened their product so that I will never get them to last nearly as long as my previous pair. Such a shame.

4 comments:

sage said...

Wow, that's a long time to own a pair of shoes. I have a pair of boots that are 20 years old, but I have sent them off for new soles and they are in need of that again. I agree, the Teva's of today are not as good as they used to be.

I had a "blow-out" of flipflops when in China a few years ago--trying to find a replacement pair for my size 12 feet was a challenge!

Bone said...

Twenty-five years? Wow. You should write the Teva company and tell them your story and see if they don't have an old prototype lying around the storeroom somewhere they could give you as a loyalty bonus.

I used to always carry a spare pair of flip-flops in the car. But lately, I've been living more dangerously.

Vince said...

Bummer.

Ed said...

Sage - I used to have my boots resoled as well. However they eventually wore out in a way that couldn't be repaired and the new ones can't be resoled. Such a shame.

Bone - I'm probably Teva's worst enemy. They want someone to dispose of their sandals more frequently and spend more money in their stores.

Vince - Admittedly, the new replacements are way more comfortable than the old ones but I'm sure I won't get anywhere near the mileage out of them.