Friday, March 13, 2015

Recovery


I'm a two colds guy. It seems as if I catch the cold sometime in winter and sometime in summer without fail and that is just about it for ailments. This year has been brutal. I caught my summer cold and an early winter cold. Then despite the flu shot, I got the flu followed with a cold. A couple months go by and I get another flu-like illness that put me down for a week. I thought I had it licked with March here and warm weather having arrived but darn if I didn't catch another bad cold. After two days of mostly napping and taking medicines to alleviate my symptoms, I felt good enough to get outside for a bit. I took my camera along with me. My first stop was the gravesite of Chief Wapello who is buried nearby and is pretty much responsible for many of the Indian names around the area and the relatively peaceful taking of our state from the hands of the Indians. I would have taken a picture of his grave but it is surrounded by ugly chain link fence to keep out vandals so I declined. Instead, I drove back down to the river and took the above picture of the hydro dam.


Immediately downstream is one of the city's four main auto bridges over the river. There is also a pedestrian bridge and the dam. This one was taken out of commission in early 2014 to be refurbished and reopened in fall of the same year. As you can see, it is a long ways from being refurbished and we will be lucky to see it open this fall. About a month ago, an article in the paper said they were done with fixing the piers so work could progress come hell or in this case high water without delay. Yet here a month later, there is still plenty of equipment down in the river. I won't complain because about the only time I ever used this bridge was when I was going to a show at the local civic center in the background. That only happens a couple times a year so it really isn't an inconvenience taking the long way around.


This charred log was bobbing around in the choppy waters below the hydro dam and much be connected to a much larger chunk of the tree because it was only bobbing and not going down the river. Nearby is a raised concrete platform that local anglers use to fish below the dam and where I took this picture. I'm guessing there are a lot of snagged lines and hooks attached to this tree.


On my way back home, I swung through the local cemetery where I tied up a loose end that I mused about on this blog almost a year and a half ago.  Back then, I only noticed the canon when I got home and was looking at the picture and theorized that it was someone's gravestone and I figured that particular someone would have a good story behind him. Well it turned out to be a Civil War Memorial among the Civil War section of the cemetery.


Finally back home, I looked around but couldn't find anything yet to catch my photography muse. There were a few bulbs just starting to poke up out of our flower beds but that is it. I'm guessing in another week, there will be a much different story to see. I did take a picture of this burl up in one of our trees on the edge of our property. Years ago I wouldn't have paid any attention to it but now I realize how burl wood can be very prized for its grain patterns when used in furniture and other wooden creations. However, prized or not, I'm not one to go kill a tree just for something like that so I just monitor it so when that tree does die, it's death will not be in vain.

3 comments:

roaring40 said...

Sorry you were ill.

That gun is quite spectacular. Looks like a siege piece too, 18 pounder perhaps. Were those guys involved down the river in Vicksberg.

Leigh said...

No fun to be sick and it sounds like you've had more than your fair share! Looks like you need some warm sunny weather to cheer you up and get your photo juices flowing once again.

Ed said...

Vince - Most Iowans during the Civil War went first to serve guard duty and protect the railroads of Tennessee. After that, some went to the Vicksburg campaign and others on Sherman's March to the Sea.

Leigh - Oh I am always cheerful but it would be nice to be healthy for a stretch of time longer than a few weeks.