Monday, March 23, 2015

How Great Thou Art


When vacationing with the kids, we try to alternate a stop for them with a stop for us. The first stop for us was the Joslyn Art Museum. I am the first to admit that I don't have an eye for art. Most of the classic works from bygone eras bore me and I wouldn't pay much money to have displayed on my walls. Modern art gets the juices flowing a bit more but often I find myself pondering how much money people are willing to throw away for a painting of splattered paint like the one above done by Jackson Pollock. I like the painting and I would hang it on a wall in my house but I would rather do it myself than shell out however much money people thing the painting above is worth.


After walking around this museum for over an hour, I sat down on a bench to rest my legs and those of the eight year old who was tagging along with me asking non-stop questions. For the first time during our visit, I happened to actually 'see' the floor. I was immediately pulled into its simplicity and beauty. They had sliced a 4 by 4 inch piece of lumber into half inch slices and created the world's largest end grain butcher block floor. It was quite stunning. It got me to thinking that perhaps I should shy away from the conventional when it comes to reflooring our house, a project that is getting nearer to the top of my master list.


Below is a tiny portion of a huge art display of colored blown glass anchored into a curling wave nearly 40 feet tall in the atrium. Much of it was in shadows but if I zoomed in on the top most part still partially in the sun, I could get a pleasing to my eye photo. It is an great example of modern art that I don't think I could do and one that I would probably find well worth the price they paid for it.


Finally, alongside an art display of a particular artists work was a large map showing some of the areas that the artist traveled too. Me being a lover of maps, found myself drawn to the map and couldn't help but take a picture of my native state. When I get our home office remodeled, I have great designs to obtain various maps that I can frame and hang from its walls. Since I can spend hours just perusing maps like some might do a magazine, my wife might not buy into the project but if I tell her that will be my man cave, perhaps I can sneak it by.


5 comments:

Rich said...

I wonder how many saws they burned through cutting all those 4x4's up?

Years and years ago I used to watch a show about extreme homes, and one home had floors made out of "tiles" of OSB that didn't look like OSB at all.

There's no way to tell how durable the floor was, but it looked like it had been sanded pretty smooth, stained, and covered in a good application of floor varnish.

Ed said...

Rich - I pondered the time commitment myself. There was probably 30,000 to 40,000 square feet of the stuff! I'm guessing it is like most flooring, it is only as durable as your subflooring. Though all this was on the second floor, I didn't notice a single bounce or creak to the floors so I'm guessing it was pretty solid. Of course, art museums don't have much for a static load so if you were going to do it someplace, that would probably be where.

Bone said...

We went to an art show a couple of weekends ago. I'm kinda like you. There were a couple of paintings I would've liked, but the price was a tad much.

It was nice though. They had free appetizers and alcohol. Though I didn't partake in the latter.

Oh, and I never got the drip painting, either.

Ed said...

Bone - I always figured art looked better with more alcohol!

roaring40 said...

I like the idea of the floor too. My issue with it would be it's relative unsuitability to live with on an on-going basis. I think after a while it would become like one of those spiraly things the optician has to test something of other. I could live with the Pollock. Or a Turner.
Not so sure about a Monet or a Manet, Picasso would give me a headache. Still if ever I/we have the problem I expect I/we could devote an entire room to the 'problem' visiting only when in the mood.