Monday, February 2, 2015

Taking a Trip Back In Time

Being somewhat retired has its advantages. When my wife gets to go to someplace I've never been but have always wanted to go too for a conference, I can go along for the cost of a plane ticket and my daily walking around expenses. The room and her airfare are paid for. So when my wife said she had a conference in Boston this April and asked if I wanted to go along, I said heck yes, or something along those lines!

I love reading and learning about history and I know Boston is a bonanza of historical sites so I've just started prepping for the trip by reading a couple books about the Revolutionary War especially as it pertains to the Boston area. I'm beginning to make a list of places I want to check out while I'm in the area and want to enlist my reading audience's help in this endeavor. Have any of you been to Boston and done some exploring? What were your favorite stops and what would you avoid the next time? Let me know if you would please.

Our hotel room will be in downtown Boston and I'm going to have four or five days to entertain myself while my wife attends her conference. We are trying to avoid renting a car so I'm planning on walking or riding mass transit for the duration of my stay. Right now I will probably spend a day or two walking the Freedom Trail and seeing all the sites along its path that look interesting. I would like to visit the waterfront. Other than that, I'm up in the air.

Being a foodie, I'm also open to suggestions of good places to eat. On my list is to get a Boston lobster roll sandwich and perhaps eat at an upscale place that serves courses during the meal instead of everything on one plate. I've never eaten at a place like that but want to try just once to eat something like you might find at Hell's Kitchen, but perhaps without the drama. I'm a firm believer in the saying when in Rome, eat like the Romans so I would love to hear what food is quintessential Bostonian.

So what say you all?

4 comments:

sage said...

Boston is one of the few cities in this country that I've not been to--one day I hope to go just to watch a baseball game at Fenway Park--not that I am a Redsox fan, but because of the history of the place. And I want to visit Cape Cod.

Ed said...

Sage - I would love to head out to Cape Cod too but I'm not sure I will be able to do it with mass transportation and in a timely manner. For some reason my wife wants me back at the hotel in early evening to go explore and eat with her!

Bone said...

I wish I could help. Would love to visit Boston someday. I actually had a friend who lived there for a few years. Would've been a free place to stay, but stupid me never visited. I could probably ask about eating places though.

Of course, my first stop would probably be the bar that "Cheers" was based on... don't judge.

Ed said...

Bone - I forgot about that being in Boston. I will definitely have to look that up!