Monday, February 9, 2015

Snow


Back when I was an eight year old child, I stood out at the bus stop all by myself waiting for the school bus without any fear in the world. I'm sure my mother wasn't worried either. Back then child abductions still occurred just like they do today but they weren't publicized and thus easier to ignore. These days, everything is publicized and though child abductions happen less often, the fear of it happening is more intense for both the parent and child. So every morning, I walk with my daughter the hundred yards from our house to the bus stop and wait with her for the bus. I do admit that I don't do it just to alleviate my fears of child abduction but also to spend some one on one time with my daughter when we can talk about anything. I think I will keep doing so as long as she allows me too.

Because we live along a ridge with a quiet dead end street that runs along the crest, the trees are cleared in a path along the road. Much of the time during the late fall and winter months,the sun at this hour in the morning is off to one side of the ridge or the other and behind trees when we are waiting for the bus. But for a few days in late fall and again in late winter, like a newer Stonehenge, the sun aligns with the ridge line and road and we get a blast of sun while waiting for the bus. Eventually when spring gets here, the sun will be high enough in the sky that it won't matter that it doesn't align with the ridge but for now it does and I enjoy the change. So as we were waiting for the bus and talking about life as an eight year old, I notices how the sun shone on the snow with an early morning glow that felt pleasing to me and thus the picture above.

6 comments:

sage said...

Enjoy those moments with your daughter... I remember riding my bike with my daughter to school and walking to pick her up and now she drives!

Bone said...

There have been a few stories lately about parents being criticized/in trouble for letting their children walk to school or to the park by themselves.

I guess it's a different world from when we grew up. I walked nearly a mile home from school when I was 9 or 10. Never considered something bad might happen.

Oh man, did I just turn into my dad with a "When I was growing up..." story?

Ed said...

Sage - Eight going on fourteen!

Bone - I think back too. I remember riding my one speed bike to school (five miles along the highway) just so I could go fishing with a friend another two miles outside of town afterwards. I was probably eleven or twelve at the time. I can't imagine letting my daughter do the same!

warren said...

I love "waiting for the bus" time too and for the same reasons...it's a vulnerable time where we just talk...

ErinFromIowa said...

Enjoyed reading this post. The quality of light in the snow pic is lovely.

Ed said...

Warren - I wish it would last forever but I know it won't so I'm enjoying it why I can.

Erin - It captivated me and I'm partially colorblind!