Monday, January 5, 2015

Returning to the Frozen Tundra


This was my fifth year of going to Florida after Christmas to wait out the New Year on a nice sandy beach. When my grandparents sold their RV and ceased driving up to Iowa for the summers, we as a family decided to meet them partway in the panhandle of Florida every year to spend a week with them. Unless something changes, they have announced that even that will probably stop due to their health. I'm not sure what the future will bring but I hope they have another good handful of years left in them even if they can't make the drive anymore.

Where we stay faces the southwest so the sun rises behind the beach and the plethura of high rises that stud the shore. I don't get to see the sunrise while down there but the picture at the top of the post is of a sun rise and was taken by cellphone as we drove down the interstate at 70 mph. It was one of the better sunrises I have seen in my lifetime and I wish I had time to stop and document it properly but vacations and relaxation can't wait.


Every year, my favorite part of our vacations besides spending time with family is watching the sunset over the ocean. Where I live in Iowa is surrounded by tall trees so sunrises and sunsets are always happening out of sight. I don't get to see nearly enough of them. Thus when I am in Florida, I take full advantage of an unobscured view. This trip down to Florida didn't cooperate with my desires and every single sunset was covered up by clouds. The closest I came were these two pictures above and below taken about 30 minutes before the sun set.


Other than that one evening, the rest of the evenings looked like the one below. Cloudy. Though in retrospect, it probably isn't the sunset that I enjoy so much but the solitude of sitting out on a deck, sipping a beer, reading a good book, listening to the waves roll in and if the sun is not covered, taking a picture or two to remember it by. I still got to do everything but the latter.


6 comments:

Leigh said...

Real winter is expected to arrive here tomorrow. Not looking forward to it! December spoiled us. Enjoy your warm beaches while you can!

Ed said...

Leigh - We definitely enjoyed the warm beaches. The same cold heading your way tomorrow is supposed to hit us too, only colder. I'm not sure what I will be doing but it certainly won't be lingering around outside!

roaring40 said...

Glad you had a good time. And lovely photographs.

warren said...

Welcome back!

sage said...

Good to have you back in blogland, but those pictures were something else. Winter is supposed to arrive here tomorrow night with temps actually falling into the 20s :)

Ed said...

Vince - They weren't bad considering I took them with my cellphone. Due to the lack of sunlight during our trip, I never even unpacked the SLR until the final evening when we took a family shot using the timer.

Warren - Good to be back... kind of.

Sage - Today it is -11F here with the windchill around -40F. I'm staying in and probably starting a fire.