Monday, December 8, 2014

Egg Damage


One of my favorite things to do with leftover smoked turkey is to make some smoked turkey salad sandwiches. It is a play off of tuna or ham salad and consists of the smoked turkey, dill pickles, onion, hard boiled eggs and some mayonnaise to bind everything together. As you can probably guess, I ran into some problems this time around.

I put some eggs into a pan with some water and put them on the stove to boil. I decided to run some things down into the basement while I was waiting for the boiling to start and thus I could set the timer for ten minutes to obtain perfectly hard boiled eggs. That was the last I remembered of the eggs until later that evening.

I was sitting in the living room and I heard a pop coming from the front hall/kitchen area. I didn't know what it had been and I didn't hear the noise again so I put it out of my mind. More time passes and this time my wife, who has joined me in the living room hears the pop and goes into the kitchen except she smells something burning. The light bulb went on and I knew what was burning too. As you can see, the water boiled completely away and the eggs sat in the pan until they literally exploded. I put them in some water and let them soak in the refrigerator over night. I did peel one in the morning but a large part of the egg inside had also been singed and the remainder tasted terrible so I ended up throwing them out and starting over. This time I stayed by the stove until the water began to boil so I could set the timer.

4 comments:

sage said...

I did that once! Hopefully the pan is okay.

Ed said...

Sage - I had thought it might be permanent but the scorching came right off.

Leigh said...

Yikes! Hate to say been there and done that but, been there and done that. Good thing the pan was saved!

warren said...

HA! I don't think I have ever done that but I can imagine it isn't hard to do! It must have eventually smelled awful I bet!