Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Making Drawers


As you can see, I'm closer to getting drawers for my custom built workbench. I am making drawers for the two upper left cavities and the four right cavities. I found some full extension drawer slides at a reasonably price online that are supposed to hold up to 200 pounds which should be more than enough for my needs. I made the drawers out of pine 1 x 6 material for the sides and front and 3/4" plywood for the bottom. I haven't decided it I'm going to make drawer fronts to cover the opening and prevent dust from getting everything dirty or if I'm going to go with hinged doors. I'm leaning toward hinged doors right now since there will be several cavities that will require a hinged door anyway. But it means I have to buy hinges. I think I'll make the call once I get the drawers in place.

A few of the drawers have clamps applied diagonally to square up the drawers while they dry. I leave a little bit of wiggle room in the bottom panel to allow me to do that because making a square drawer always makes using drawer slides a lot easier.


I've shown this jig before on here but I'll show it again. It is my box joint cutting jig and is a simple way to make incredibly strong box joints for drawers. Once you build the jig out of a few pennies worth of scrap wood and bolt it to your crosscut slide on your tablesaw, it takes a few minutes to set up and adjust and you are in business. It even works well with a cheap 20 year old tablesaw like mine.


It took me about two hours of cutting to get all the drawer sides cut out and box joints put into the ends. I spent another half hour cutting a dado in to accept the plywood and another half hour cutting the plywood pieces for the drawer bottom. Below is everything dry fitted together to make sure I won't have any problems when I went to glue it up. I did have a problem because I could find my glue brushes since the garage reorganization so I ended up just using my finger and a few paper towels. You may notice that there are some holes showing on the drawer fronts towards the bottom of each drawer. This is where the dado for the bottom panel runs out. One can carefully mark and top cutting shy of the end to prevent that from showing or as I have done in the past, make square plugs to fill the hole in of similar material so that it turns invisible. But since these are in the garage and will be covered up by a drawer front or hinged door, I'm leaving them as is.


My next step it to mount the drawer slides and put the drawers in place. One of the drawers will be my storage drawer for all my dozens of boxes of various screws and nails. I am trying to design up some sort of system that will allow them to easily be found and accessed yet keep them neatly arranged. Right now I'm leaning towards some sort of plastic storage bins that I can see the screws and take the bin to where ever I'm working at the time. I just hate dealing with the thin cardboard boxes that the screws come in and are forever falling apart and spilling them every which way.

No comments: