Friday, October 10, 2014

Landscape


A couple days after moving the rock and allowing my body to heal, we went to the store to pick up our landscaping plants. Because we did all of the labor ourselves saving a good deal of money, we splurged a bit by getting some good plants. We avoided the big box store plants which we have always found to be stressed and full of disease and instead got them from a gardening/nursery store. They were more expensive but they came with a two year warranty and were beautiful specimens.

I picked up the plants after lunch and my wife and I began planting right away. Five hours later, we finished getting them all into the ground and could barely drag ourselves inside the house and into the shower. I think we both hurt for a couple days afterwards. You wouldn't think after moving 28 tons of rock and dirt that planting would be so hard on the body but it was. I guess it involved a different set of muscles. After the experience we had with our fruit trees, I didn't take any chances and sprayed all the plants down with deer repellent and will probably continue to do so the rest of the year to let them get established. Unlike the trees, I can't fence all this in.

We still need to plant the bulbs and mulch them but for the most part, our landscaping project it now complete. All I need to do is to water the grass that I planted on a daily basis until the ground freezes up and then rest until winter fades away into spring. I won't be sitting down though because I still have a garage to get fixed up, a siding project and possibly a basement remodeling project to keep me busy until spring. The list goes well on beyond that as all home improvement lists seem to but I won't bore you with those details until we get closer.

7 comments:

ErinFromIowa said...

My goodness! That looks so nice. Are there any bulbs under there?

sage said...

Nice work!

Leigh said...

Once we finally finish our front porch we're going to have to landscape. I should take notes!

Ed said...

Erin - In this picture no, but in real life they just got planted today. I'll have to post another picture soon.

Sage - Thanks.

Leigh - We kept putting it off for various outside projects and finally decided we waited long enough. I still need to do some landscaping along the back side but that can wait another year.

roaring40 said...

Looks good. What's the funny half of an 8 shape about.

Ed said...

Vince - That's the area where my wife plans to plant bulbs and annuals next spring. It is separated so that it can be mulched which the bulbs can grow up through unlike the rocks.

woodysrockyridge said...

Nice job! Funny though, we are constantly picking rock out of our beds,