Friday, October 3, 2014

Bugs


I am forever removing wasp nests from the eaves of our house. I start in early summer and make a circuit about once a month with my tools of choice. I use a long eight feet chunk of wood with a putty knife clamped to the end. I then sneak up, scrape it off and run like hell. The wasps will fly around angrily for awhile and then spend the next day or two around the area where their former home was before flying off to someplace else. I can then pick up their old home off the ground and dispose of it. So when my oldest kept telling me there was a 'giant' wasp nest under the window by the corner of the deck, I nodded and said I would take care of it when I had time. About the fourth time she told me this she also asked if I wanted her to show me where it was. I finally said okay and she pointed out the nest seen above which I would classify as a small hornet nest. I'm not an expert on insect nests but I do know that the wasps we have around here generally build open umbrella shaped nests and yellow jackets build closed nests underground. Unfortunately this nest is within feet of my escape path inside so I'm going to leave it alone until hell freezes over for the hornet or as we humans say, winter has arrived.


While removing large rocks and debris from our sidewalk construction project to prepare for backfilling with dirt, I came across this spider. He frantically tried running away from me as I was hammering away the solidified chunks of concrete seen in the bottom left of the photo. Evidently he didn't think he was going to make it so decided to play dead. I didn't know spiders did that. He laid just like that while I hammered and removed the concrete chunks seen in this photo and then after I moved on, he must have moved on too. Again, I'm not a very good insect guy so I don't know what kind of spider it is. I just know that I hate them and this one is darn lucky I didn't squash him while I had the chance. But since he was outside of the house and I found his play dead strategy interesting, he was spared to continue life and hopefully chowing down on harmful landscape insects.


4 comments:

roaring40 said...

We have hornets that are like wasps, only longer. And we have real nasty B's that attack from hedgerows for the sake of it. I remember cycling in France hearing a distinctive rattling rustle in the undergrowth and by jimminny you'd better find the puff to accelerate like a DeLorean with a flux-capacitor.
I'd pay someone if it's a nest you don't know. You at her age would have left that thing alone ?, I know it would've been like an irresistible force for me.

sage said...

Nice nest, but those pest can be a pain... We had yellow jackets in the yard once in Michigan, boy I hate those things cause if you stepped near their hole, they swarmed

Ed said...

Vince - I probably would have chucked rocks at it to see what would happen if I had been her age. Fortunately she seems a bit smarter than I was.

Sage - We have some in our yard here. A fellow mowing our bank got stung three times a few weeks ago after he disturbed their nest. I went back later to try and find it to get rid of it but couldn't. Of course I didn't get down on my hands and knees for closer inspection!

warren said...

I'm always amazed at how fast they can establish themselves under an eave or whatever...waspers and the like are so plentiful and such a nuisance too when they build too close to the house...I love the look of their nests though...