The concrete in the garage has been poured. The slab is nice and level though in the picture above you can see how the stem walls resting on the footer dive down into the concrete where that corner of the garage sunk 3 inches after they built the house. Isolation joints have been cut so that when the concrete cracks, and all concrete cracks, it will break along those lines instead of random patterns. The door you see leads out to the back yard and hasn't been used once since we bought the place. It eats up a corner that can be better utilized so it is going away. When I tackle the siding project I plan to stud in the bay and side over it. As you might be able to tell, it no longer fits in the opening anyway since the concrete in that area was about six inches lower than the rest. I'm going to screw it shut so that it is weather tight for now and some full length cabinetry will be going in that corner for storing stuff relatively dust free when I do my wood working projects. Now that the slab is complete and I can't park cars on it for a week or so until it fully cures, I'm going to use this time to do some repainting and organize things more efficiently. The above picture shows a half bay that is beside our parked cars and my work area. You can also see the new surface mount outlets I installed to replace the one outlet I had in the area. I just hate spending all my working time plugging and unplugging things so this way I can keep everything plugged in and ready to go when I need it, once I get my new workbench built.
This is the opposite side of the garage where my wife parks her car and where she has a potting bench. I also store some ladders, hand tools and my rack of clamps. I plan to put her stuff back over there and rework it a bit so it is a bit more organized. One of my old open shelves that is going to be replaced with closed shelving will go over here to store pots, extra soil and mulch that doesn't much matter if it builds up a layer of dust on over time.
So what's with the title? That is an expression my brother who has spent his post collegiate career in the deep south uses when he is completely worn out. After the garage floor was poured and while they were starting on the driveway, I used that time to correct something that has always bugged me. Our house has four downspouts that funnel rainwater from the roof to lower areas of the land. Three of the corners have the downspouts funneling water into underground piping that runs down to the bottom of the hill. The fourth downspout which is located towards the side of the house that slopes toward the house, just adds to the problem and keeps our front lawn kind of swampy during wet years. The best way to fix that problem would be to dig a trench from one side of the driveway to the other side and down the hill. Up until recently, this was a problem with a blacktop driveway blocking me. When the concrete guys removed the asphalt, I hustled in there and dug a trench so I could lay some pipe to connect the front downspout to the underground pipe that carries the water from the rear downspout. Because I didn't want to inconvenience them, I had to hustle. I dug like a madman and got everything plumbed and back filled the ends that weren't underneath the driveway so when they concrete guys showed up for the day, all they had to do was dump some gravel in the trench under the new driveway and proceed with their day. I was so utterly spent that I actually had to sit down and rest a spell in the shade for five minutes between trips to put my tools away in the basement or risk perhaps passing out. It didn't help that it was one of the hottest days of the year so far and nearly 100% humidity. All I could think while sitting in the shade was that I was plum slammed. I eventually made it back up to the garage for the last of my tools and called it a day just 15 minutes before the concrete guys showed up. So now there are two reasons why I will probably sleep better tonight.