Friday, August 22, 2014

Refrigerator Part Two

A long long time ago in a distant galaxy,  I wrote about a series of screw jobs I received in replacing a refrigerator that was killed by electrical surge of a lightening strike. The soonest they could deliver it was the day after I left for the Philippines and the next day that I would be here in the states was three days after I returned. So the day arrived and the installers showed up with my new refrigerator. Due to the tight corner and doorway of the kitchen, they had to first remove all the doors and door mounting hardware from the dead refrigerator first to get it out of the kitchen and onto their truck. This sounds simple but involves 10,000 screws, bolts and pulling some wires and tubes up through the door that feed the controls and ice maker. After 45 minutes, they were able to haul the old refrigerator out in pieces and then repeat the process on the new refrigerator in the driveway.

As they wheeled it in through the exterior door and the kitchen doorway, I noticed that it went in a lot easier. I asked if the refrigerator was thinner and he said he didn't think it would be since it was the same model number but he had noticed that it also appeared to be thinner. They hooked up the water supply and electrical cord and went to slide it back into the spot before putting on the doors and the refrigerator wouldn't fit. It lacked about 5/8th of an inch of fitting in the spot where as the old one had probably a 1/2 inch to spare on either side. What the?

After some research, they had ordered the 36" model to replace my 33" model. Not only would it not fit, but all the parts that I robbed from my old one to have as spares, no longer matched. So they had to haul out the new refrigerator, put all 10,000 screws, bolts, wires, tubes, doors and drawers back together out in the driveway. They promised to call me back when they got back to the store to figure out what was next.

As it turned out, they screwed up and had to order the correct refrigerator which they can get in two days. She also promised that they would make a special trip to install it that day or the following morning depending on what time the truck arrived. But.... and she paused here... the smaller refrigerator cost more, $700 more, than the other one because it was more expensive to manufacture. She thought this would be bad news to me but I assured her it was great news. You see, the insurance company screwed me over when I got the much cheaper refrigerator but since I already am paying the deductible, the insurance company will be paying the extra $700, not me. All I have to do is deal with them but it shouldn't be too much of a problem since the wrong cheaper refrigerator wasn't the equivalent one to what we had and the new much more expensive one is. It will be a pleasure sticking it to them... I hope.

Later that week they called back to inform me that the replacement refrigerator was back ordered and that it would be yet another month before they received it from the factory. I kindly chewed them out a bit and the following day they arrived with a loaner refrigerator which definitely eased the pain a bit. A month went by and finally they showed up with our new refrigerator, this time the same model and more importantly the size of the previous one. In short order we had everything transferred into it and once again I have a working water and ice dispenser in the door. The old one was the first refrigerator I ever had with one of those jobs in it and it was only under protest that I bought one with it for my wife. I remember telling her that it was just another part to fail. Somehow in the two years since then, I have grown to love having it and thought it was a slight burden to go without it for two and a half months.

1 comment:

sage said...

I am with you on the ice dispenser but I do suppose it saves (as long as it doesn't jam or freeze up) as you don't have to open the freezer nearly as often. Glad you got everything worked out.