Monday, August 18, 2014

Kamagong Journals Part Seventeen: Views Through the Windshield


Because of extended periods of time riding in a van getting here and there, I had plenty of opportunity to take some pictures of things I saw along the road. Many didn't turn out due to the conditions and speeds involved but I did end up with a handful of pictures that I thought I should show here. This first one shows a fellow who rents out his boar to breed other pigs. His fee is his pick of one of the litter born three months, three weeks and three days later.


Recycling has become a big business in the Philippines and I saw plenty of these types of loads heading down the road to be redeemed for money. I think this fellow is hauling plastic.



When riding one of these tricycles as they are called, I am hard pressed to fit my tall frame inside much less fit other people inside with me. Here are eight people on this tricycle plus backpacks and a box and I'm sure they feel comfortable with the situation.


Here is a father taking his daughter to school and giving his young son a ride. Safety isn't a real big concern in the Philippines. Here in the States he would be lucky if he didn't get beat up by passersby in the streets for letting his kids ride like that.


Although it isn't rare, you still don't often seen females driving in the Philippines. The ones you do are mostly driving their own personal scooters like the one above. I found this one amusing however because she was wearing high heels while riding.


If you don't have transportation of your own or can't afford to hire someone, another option seems to be riding on top of other vehicles heading your way.


This is the best picture I have of a kuliglig outfitted for street travel.  In a previous post I showed one stirring up a rice patty for planting. When not in use for planting, they replace the reels with tires, hook a small cart to the back and use it for transportation. Due to their low gearing, a ride on one of them is about the same pace as an easy walk.


Not sure what this truck was hauling or its purpose but it reminded me of garbage trucks in the Philippines which look similar. I haven't seen any garbage trucks that lift cans or have hoppers where garbage men dump the refuse before it is packed into the main body of the truck. Instead their preferred method seems to be a couple men on the ground tossing it up into the back of the truck and another three or four pushing and stacking it so that more can be put on. I really feel for those men, especially the ones riding with the garbage in the truck because the smell is so powerful that I can smell them 100 feet behind riding in a sealed vehicle. I can't image how it would smell right on top of it and wrestling it around all day.


This is a picture of a rental van that we hired to take up to our beach stay. the driver said it was genuine anaconda skin. While it definitely appeared and felt to be real snake skin, I can't vouch for whether it was indeed anaconda. When you rent a van in the Philippines, you usually get a driver too and you have to provide the driver with room and board for the duration. It is nice to have a driver who can drop you off where ever you wanted and have the van cooled and ready to pick you up when you got back. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to afford such a thing here in the States but in the Philippines, it is down right cheap.


Many of the main roads in the Philippines are four lanes but the 'slow' lane as we would call it here in the states is rarely used. Part of the problem is because like in the picture above, people use it to dry their rice crop, work on their vehicles, display their wares for sale or a myriad of other things. Another part of the problem is that you encounter situations like in this picture where a pole (at the far end of the rice drying on the right hand side) had been set in the road or because the road simply just ends without warning. As a result, everyone drives in the 'fast' lane which is anything but fast. You go as fast as the slowest vehicle which there are plenty of in the Philippines.

4 comments:

warren said...

The rice drying on the road is amazing! If you leave much of anything out in a populated area, someone would mess with it, steal it, etc...hard to imagine people leaving stuff alone!

Leigh said...

An interesting set of photos. They really tell a story. I have to say that boar looks mighty pleased with the situation.

Ed said...

Warren - I was amazed at that too but evidently rice theft isn't much of a problem. I'm guessing someone is always nearby keeping an eye on it.

Leigh - It certainly is a good deal for the boar and the family that own him. I'm sure they are well fed compared to some of their neighbors.

roaring40 said...

Good photos. I think I'd try and get in the bonnet and windscreen for a context.

That thing is a rotavator. http://www.titan-pro.co.uk/Rear-Tine-Petrol-Tiller-Rotavator-Titan-TP700/277/0/Product.aspx with a hitch to tow a trailer of sorts ?.