Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Kamagong Journals Part Fifteen: Life's a Beach


This is a closer view of the former mayor's house that had been turned into a beach resort.


The roof was made using traditional techniques. The purlins were made of anahaw which is also referred to as coconut wood though it is only a relative of the coconut tree. The leaves of actual coconut trees are bundled together and tied to the anahaw purlins in overlapping rows.


Especially along the coast, you often see the thick layers of coconut leaves that form the roof wrapped in netting to help protect it from the winds of passing tropical storms and typhoons.


Like just about everywhere you go in the Philippines, there are people who show up trying to sell you stuff. If you are white and American, you are particularly preyed upon. However it turned out these people selling trinkets were a little different than normal. These people are a product of a government program that takes local down and out people and teaches them how to make trinkets to sell for a living. They are given or subsidized some basic equipment and all money they make goes to their pockets. Among the trinkets they sold were necklaces and bracelets made out of pearls and local stones as well as a few things made out of kamagong wood. After I learned of their story, I parted with a few pesos for some trinkets to give to people back home in the States.


No beach resort would be a resort with out beach furniture. I spent quite a bit of time in some of these beach "chairs" and they were more comfortable than they looked.





I'm not sure what these blossoms are from but I do know that I almost got hit by them more than once, almost always early in the mornings. I assumed they were from coconut trees which were everywhere around the beach but when I got home and searched for them on the internet, they didn't look like coconut tree blossoms.

6 comments:

warren said...

Blossom or deadly sea creature washed up on shore...hmmmmm

Ed said...

Warren - Well they always came from up above in the air so I'm comfortable in ruling out deadly sea creature. Deadly tree creature is still a possibility!

roaring40 said...

They could be an arboreal orchid. But I'd say Bird of Paradise (Caesalpinia pulcherrima) is a bit more likely.
I like the house.

roaring40 said...

They could be an arboreal orchid. But I'd say Bird of Paradise (Caesalpinia pulcherrima) is a bit more likely.
I like the house.

Ed said...

Vince - I couldn't find a picture of either of those that looked like the one I took. I haven't found anything that looks remotely close. The only thing around tree wise to those blossoms were coconut trees and their blossoms online look nothing like it either. I'm stumped.

ErinFromIowa said...

Interesting about the blossom. I better comment so I am apprised of any future developments.