Friday, August 1, 2014

Kamagong Journals Part Eleven: Fishing


I spent quite a bit of time this trip along the ocean where I could sit and watch the waves, sunsets, and time come and go. Being on an island nation where fishing is a major activity, it is no surprise that I saw quite a few people fishing during that time.  I never saw any of them actually bring up a fish from the depths but judging from the plentiful fresh fish in the local wet markets, they were getting their share.


I'm not sure what was going on in this picture. These two boats were stringing out nets and there were two people, one which is underwater when I took this picture, taking turns diving. I suspect they were either clearing snagging nets or making sure they were tight to the ocean bottom. I had to stop our vehicle along the road on the very northern part of the Luzon island and take this photo with my telephoto lens braced on the window opening in a car full of eleven other people all in various stages of moving. I blame that for the bad composition.


By in large, most of the people I saw fishing were solitary people standing on simple rafts with a mound of nets. Sometimes they had only a long bamboo pole to propel them here and there and other times they actually had very crude double bladed paddles like one might use to kayak.


I was often up before dawn and would see the fishermen leaving in the pre-dawn darkness. Many hours later they would still be fishing as the sun was setting. They worked long hours to get enough fish to earn enough money to support their families.


Above is a deluxe raft. Below is the cheap model.


4 comments:

warren said...

Do they go out on those rafts in any weather or is it a fair-weather only craft? I can't imagine standing on one of those all day even in the best of circumstances...yikes!

Leigh said...

Getting caught up on your Kamagong journals: spiders, ancient buildings, parrots, statues, etc. You make the reading very interesting!

Also interesting is the economy raft in the last photo. Anything that floats your boat, I suppose.

roaring40 said...

Well, if there was any doubt of the beginnings of the surfboard !!!!.

Ed said...

Warren - I have only seen them used when the conditions are calm. When there is chop, I see small boats. I am always amazed at the conditioning the people of the Philippines have. Like you I can't imagine standing on bamboo all day long on a stable floor much less a rocking and rolling bolt. Plus they often rest in a squat position which if I got down into a similar position, I might never emerge!

Leigh - They certainly recycle more than their American counterparts. How much of that foam block stuff ends up in landfills here? More than I probably want to know.

Vince - I've never seen any recreational water stuff in the Philippines. I'm sure it exists but is few and far between due to the poverty.