Monday, May 19, 2014
I finally got the sink drain plumbed in so that I can measure for the drawers and begin to make them. Despite making two trips to the store for proper fitting that I blogged about already, when I started this job I realized that the adapter that I had bought to go between 1-1/2" and 1-1/4" plumbing was actually to join 1-1/4" drain pipe with 1-1/2" house pipe which is not the same as 1-1/2" drain pipe. Sigh. So I made another trip to the store and found an adapter that goes between 1-1/2" and 1-1/4" drain pipe. Back home, I put the adapter on but then realized that I would end up with to unthreaded ends of 1-1/4" pipe butting together with no way to connect them. (Insert a string of curses here.)
After my fourth trip to the store, I finally found a different type of adapter that can join either 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" drain pipe or one of each. Four trips to the store and probably around $5 worth of useless adapters, I finally got the drain hooked up and working. Now all I have left for plumbing in this bathroom project is to hook up the faucet to the copper supply pipes that you can see in this top picture. It however, is on a slow boat from Korea so I'm waiting for it to arrive before I see if I need to return the fitting I already bought for the faucet we ended up returning because it just didn't look right in the space for it. One of the problems of buying things sight unseen on the internet is somethings things look different sizes than their pictures. In the case of the first faucet, it looked like it would work fine but when it arrived, it towered over the basin sink in our bathroom and I'm sure would have splashed everywhere. When I reordered, I made sure to google installation diagrams first to verify the fit this time around. I don't want to do multiple soldering jobs if I can avoid it. I just struggle when it comes to plumbing and I can't wait for this round to be over.