Monday, May 26, 2014

Commando 450


Seinfeld aficionados will recognize the name of this post as the black market high flow shower head that Kramer buys after the city starts limiting sales of shower heads to low flow models only. In my last post I was complaining about the weak nature of my new shower head and thinking about finding another better one. I searched and searched but all models seemed to be limited to 2.5 gallons per minute for a flow rate. Some touted their shower heads as being high pressure but still low flow but they were all small spray patterns. In essence, the smaller the spray pattern the higher the pressure, the larger the spray pattern, the lower the pressure. So what do you do if you want a large spray pattern and higher pressure?

During the course of my google search for a high pressure shower head, I came across an article that suggested that there may be laws preventing manufacturers from producing high flow shower heads. To compensate, manufacturers put flow restrictors inside their shower head that is adjusted to meet this requirement. This got me to thinking.

I took off my shower head and sure enough, there was a plastic flow restrictor inside that required a special tool to adjust or remove. As luck would happen, I dropped my shower head and if fells squarely on a running drill which popped the flow restrictor out and I couldn't figure out how to put it back inside. You can see it resting on the lower left part of the shower head in the picture above. So I just had to put my shower head back up without the flow restrictor. Dang. Now my shower has a very satisfactory shower head experience again. Darn my luck.

2 comments:

woodysrockyridge said...

What are the odds! I had the same accident with our new shower head and a cordless drill.

roaring40 said...

Yep, those pesky running drill bits.