Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Primed

No pictures but I thought I would vent about drywall. As I have mentioned before, I hate the stuff, specifically the mudding and sanding of the seams part. I just struggle at it. After several days of mudding, sanding, more mudding, more sanding, touchup mudding, touchup sanding, so forth and so on, I finally thought I had a perfectly smooth surface that would make the most anal retentive person proud. I got out my drywall primer and put a coat on all the non-tiles surfaces and sure enough I found several areas that looked terrible. Nothing like putting paint on a surface to highlight all the imperfections. Fortunately it was just primer so I sanded through it and fixed all the areas before applying more primer. Now I finally have it looking great, at least to me, and I can start putting on the final coats of paint. I think I am going to paint first before tiling so I don't have to worry about protecting all the tile with tape and plastic. After I get it all installed, I will just touch up any edges near the tile that I'm sure will get stained with splotches of mortar as I do the tiling. I'm really looking forward to the tiling part but I know it will be punctuated with periods of frustration as I try to get all the tiles nice and straight with grout lines lining up. Been there and done that part before.

5 comments:

Ron said...

When I'm doing drywall, I put a light right up close to the wall and a few feet from the joint, which really helps blemishes to stand out.

Ed said...

Ron - I do that too. I still missed some spots though.

warren said...

I am in the same boat exactly except after I had primed, I got so irritated I just called a guy to come fix it for me...I wanted to tear it all down and just staple up bubblewrap or something. I will do no more of my own drywall...I am not typically a quitter but gee whiz it is frustrating stuff

sage said...

I tried getting a smooth finish on drywall and it took forever. If I ever do it again, I am going to learn the skip-trowel method and not worry about having smooth surfaces.

roaring40 said...

One method in such a small area would be to do one wall then the one at your back, then join them. But allow the first two to set a little not long, perhaps 5 mins. That way, when you apply the middle one you won't drag when you pull from the corners. Nor has it cured enough so the whole will set as one. The truth is though, any slight error can be floated off when you apply the tile adhesive. In fact if you score it a bit with a nail before fully set you'll have an excellent key for the tile muck.