Monday, March 3, 2014

Master Bathroom Update


Progress has been made in my master bathroom remodeling project. I cut a hole in the floor and moved the copper water supply lines back to the new stud wall you can see on the left. I framed up the stud wall and patched the resulting hole in the ceiling which essentially highlights the new area gained for our shower. I am excited because it definitely gives the entire bathroom a much bigger feel. 

After much internal debate, the rational side of me won over on the anal retentive side of me and I ended up leaving the drain hole in the same location. The anal retentive side of me wanted to put it in the center of the new shower. This would make everything symmetrical and thus pleasing to the eye. However, it would require chopping a new hole in the stud through which the pipe goes through along with a myriad of pipe fittings to achieve such a thing plus dealing with a joint between the ABS vent stack/drain and the PVC drain and P-trap. The rational side of me said that nobody would see it anyway except for my wife and I and this way, you aren't standing or straddling the drain while taking a shower. Like I said, the rational side won this round and I ended up just cutting the old drain pipe to length and installing a new drain flange on it that is compatible with a tiled shower floor. 

When I was in the demo phase, I had planned to demo the exhaust fan but didn't at the time. When it came time to make that decision, I looked at some new fans that were essentially the same look. Then I took this one apart, cleaning up the inside of it, putting in new LED lightbulbs to replace the burnt out ones. This one actually has a night light, regular light and exhaust fan functions and since they all work and it cleaned up nicely, I decided to keep it. When I get around to fixing the exhaust in the attic problem, I have enough room to reach it from above and thus no need to really do anything right now. So I went to the store and picked up a sheet of drywall to patch up the opening.

I'm sure I have seen half sheets or perhaps quarter sheets of drywall at the store for small projects but I couldn't find any this time around. They had small sheets of something similar but used as a tile backer that would have worked except that it had a million dimples on the surface that I would have to fill in. Not to mention it was 2.5 times more expensive than a $10 sheet of drywall. The problem was I had been planning on picking up a half sheet and hadn't removed all the seats out of the mini van to make room for it. I ended up just barely getting it in by removing half the seats and putting them on the other side and then sliding the passenger front seat all the way forward. Plan B was going to try and make a clean break with my knee somewhere in the middle.  The drywall around where the old cabinet had been hadn't been put in on the same plain for some reason so I had to flex my patch into place to meet it. It will end up taking a fair amount of feathering of joint compound to blend it in but I think I will be able to make a fair patch when all is said and done.

My wife really wants a modern shower complete with modern fixtures. This means a valve that balances the cold and hot water line pressures to deliver a never changing temperature while showering and some body sprays. This is my first foray into either of those things or even plumbing a shower and I have been puzzling on it for a couple weeks now. In the end, without a trip to the big city to find some sort of show room and someone who could help me, I just wasn't sure what all I needed to get to do the job. I did visit a local plumbing place that carried the parts but they wouldn't deal with me since they were a wholesale place. I didn't want to get it all in and then find out later after installing all the tiling that I put it in wrong. In the end, I called a plumber that I've used in the past for jobs too difficult for me and he came right over. He walked me through what I needed to order and how it would be plumbed. He also shot me a pretty reasonable price for doing all the rough in plumbing of the shower. In the end, I ended up ordering all the parts and doing the rough framing where the plumbing will be and when I get the parts, he will come over and do the rough in for them. Once that is done, all that will be left will be to prepare for the tiling.

Up next I need to build the curb area of the shower and finish putting in a few boards for the tile backer board and shower floor membrane that will be installed later. I need to do some more fairing work on the ceiling around my patch and remove the old medicine cabinet. It is a surface mount one that has seen its better days. I got one that installs flush with the wall which will help give the illusion of a bigger bathroom when done. I also need to remove the old vanity and take up the old tile on the floor. I want to do some research on a heated floor since that is something I've never done but requested by the wife. As the saying goes, if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy....

4 comments:

Ron said...

I maintain that the only perfect house is the one that is still on paper. Reality has a way of forcing less-than-ideal decisions.

I was so careful to center all of our ceiling fans in the middle of the room when we built this house... but now that I've been creating built-ins everywhere, it has changed the shape of the rooms, and the ceiling fans aren't centered anymore. Someday, maybe it will bother me enough to relocate them. Maybe. Probably.

Ed said...

Ron - I know you are right on with that comment. I've designed what I felt was the perfect house dozens of times on paper. But like everything, time has a way of changing perception.

roaring40 said...

Did you increase the size of the two feed pipes.

Ed said...

Vince - I didn't. They should still be adequately sized for my application.