Monday, February 3, 2014

The River


I took this panoramic photo with my phone to give you an idea of how the town is laid out. The oldest parts of town are shown on the north side of the river built upon the bluff. The river channel to the left (upstream) didn't exist until modern times when the big oxbow to the south was removed out of the river and it was routed though a dam in the newly build channel. This was all done in the name of preventing flooding but as we have all learned since then that it probably only made the flooding worse and hang around for longer periods of time.


Part of the trail we walk along is where the Wabash Railroad used to have their tracks back in the day. I found this mural on a bridge support that carries the automobile traffic over the trail where the railroad used to  run. My biggest surprise in this day of age was that it hadn't been ruined with graffiti yet.


Although I have walked across the old Wabash railroad bridge now walking trail many times, this was the first time I have noticed what you see in the above picture. In the supports that hold the bridge out of the river, they were capped with these large stones that had lots of carvings in them. Modern day hieroglyphics some of which are probably fairly old.


I took a picture upstream of the dam and the reason why we see lots of bald eagles and canadian geese along the river downstream.


The newest of all the bridges here in our town sometimes referred to as Bridge City is seen above. It is the bridge I use most often when I go downtown for various reasons. If you follow the road up and over the hill and then over the hill behind it, I live on the second ridge and the very outer limits of town. It feels as if I live out in the country but I still retain some benefits of living in town so it is a pretty good place to live. However the reason I like living here over previous places is because it is close to the river. Someday before I die, I would like to spend a few years anyway living right on the river or at least with a view of it all year round.

5 comments:

warren said...

We have a local bridge that is perfect for graffiti but somehow has none. I often wonder if the cops don't know who does it and make a bargain..."stay off this bridge and we'll leave you alone. Mess with it and we will burn down your neighborhood" It's the only thing that makes sense in my mind for my bridge anyhow. It's just too perfect otherwise

Ron said...

I think I've been on some of those bridges...

Those photos make me want to do more river exploring around here. It's always amazing to me how much activity and changes there are.

sage said...

Bridge city--thought that was Pittsburgh, both cities have a lot of them. Old bridges are interesting and water always draws me.

roaring40 said...

It looks a bit stark and lonely. I suspect is the lack of green on the trees and embellishment on the bridges that suggests that.

Ed said...

Warren - I suspect the main reason is that in order to get to that bridge, they have to walk about a quarter mile and that is quite a ways for a thug.

Ron - You probably have. The road heading north is the main road leading from SE Iowa towards the capital city and interstate system.

Sage - I'm pretty certain Pittsburgh has more bridges and probably retains the title.

Vince - I get that sense too in the winter. The lack of greenery gives it a very industrial look.