Friday, February 14, 2014

Sign Says People With Machine Guns...


So there I was eating some arroz con pollo at one of our many Mexican hole in the wall restaurants and also one of my favorites, when I happened to look up and noticed their sign inside the restaurant. On both the left and right sides of their name was a person sitting against a cactus with a smoking machine gun cradled in their arm. What am I supposed to take from this? Poor tippers will be shot? I'm supporting some drug cartel in Mexico by eating here? Unfortunately my Spanish is more than a little rusty or I might have asked the lady working the counter there at risk of being taken out back and shot.

Our city has a large Hispanic population due to a large meat packing plant and several large factories in the area. From talking to my Hispanic friends, word of good jobs (that most Caucasians don't want) travels far and most come because a prior relative came earlier and worked the jobs. All my Hispanic friends came because some cousin told them that our town was friendly and had good jobs. Once they arrive and work at the meat packing plant for awhile, many branch out and open up businesses of their own. There are probably a dozen or dozen and a half Mexican restaurants in this town and several of them are very authentic and very good compared to the standard Tex-Mex stuff you find normally. At this particular one, my wife is very fond of the tongue tacos and while I like them too, I am more in love with their vegetables with chicken (arroz con pollo) dish. I'm just not sure what to make of their mascot now that I've noticed it for the first time.

2 comments:

roaring40 said...

I don't think it's much of anything at all beyond hinting at the south-west and the Sonoran desert. I greatly doubt anyone would rest against a Saguaro.
Odd all the same. Would people in Iowa see and think Russian like I did ?.

Ed said...

Vince - Here in the midwest, when we think Russian, we think thick wool hats and snowscapes. This screams Mexico around here.