Wednesday, February 12, 2014

My Own Personal Art Gallery


I've been recently admiring Vince's artwork that he has been putting together and displaying in a gallery over in Ireland. His printing photos that he has taken onto canvas has always been something I have wanted to do but never had. A lot of the reason was that my first house didn't have large expanses of open wall due to the way it was constructed and what wall we did have had furniture and other assorted things taking up space. When we moved into this house a year and a half ago, we decided we were going to decorate things a little differently. We wanted to eliminate some of the personal framed pictures and go more with original artwork that we created. My wife was able to paint a large painting for the dining room wall and is working on an even larger one to go on the blank wall you see above. On a side note, I'm hoping it will cover up or mask the imperfection line in the drywall job that bugs me every time I see it.

I haven't contributed much to this endeavor. I started a painting but feel that it is still lacking something and I am not sure what so it sits in a corner of the basement waiting for that revelation. Vince however inspired me to take a different tact so I took a picture that I blogged about on here a few weeks ago and had it printed onto canvas. I took the picture quite by happenstance back in 1998 along the North Shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota. It turned out better than I could have dreamed and I've admired the 4 x 6 inch print ever since. I had it blown up and printed on canvas and you can see the final results above and below. I love it and now I'm looking into other pictures that perhaps I can do the same thing to and fill up some other walls that are just begging for artwork.

Here in the States and perhaps internationally too, I used the company called Shutterfly which allows you to create your own personalized photo albums and books. Unbeknownst to me until I did a Google search on canvas printing, they are also into that. They printed out the artwork and professionally gallery framed it and shipped it to my door well packaged in a box. I waited a bit for them to do a special on canvas printing and then took advantage. The picture here is blown up to 2 feet by 3 feet in size to fit the space available. I will definitely use them again.


6 comments:

roaring40 said...

That is pretty durn good.

Ed said...

Vince - I am happy with it but it has made me discover that my normal settings on my digital camera need adjusting. I thought everything was set to the best resolution possible but some of the other pictures I have taken aren't pixel dense enough to blow up to that size. I need to figure out what the problem is. This one happened to be from a scanned 4 x 6 inch print so I could scan it to get enough pixels. Any picture taken in the past with my digital camera I have to run through a pixel multiplying program to get enough of them to blow up.

edifice rex said...

Very nice! I'd like to see the painting your wife did.

Ron said...

That's pretty nifty. I'll have to look into that someday. It looks like it turned out nice.

malor said...

that is a very good photograph. I have a dslr too but I need to practice. what lens did you use?

Ed said...

Edifice Rex - I thought I posted it before but I tried to find it and can't so perhaps it was only in my imagination. I will have to take a picture of it someday and post it on here.

Ron - I had the perfect trifecta for trying it now. We had a coupon from somewhere, they were currently on sale and also I found a free shipping code that worked. It was either now or never.

Malor - Thanks. I just used a basic Canon 18-55 lens that I have had since way back in the 35mm film days. I'm guessing the lens is nearly 20 years old at this point. I was shooting black and white 35mm film when I took that photo though which is something I didn't do to often back then. These days with software you can make any photo black and white if desired.