Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Missing Turkey


I've mentioned a few times on this blog that I have a flock of turkeys that reside near my house. Near enough anyway that I saw them fairly regularly most of last year. However once winter arrived here in force, they disappeared and I haven't seen them. I found this odd since now the leaves are all down, they should be fairly easy to spot. But half of winter has passed me by and I had yet to see them until last week that is.

I was out on the back deck with my camera and telephoto lens looking at some hawks nearby and trying to get a decent picture (still haven't) when through the woods to my right I noticed something moving. I trained my lens over there and lo and behold, I found my turkeys. They were in the very bottom corner of my neighbors lawn pecking away and looking quite healthy.

It is nice to see my turkeys once again but it brings up a question that I don't know the answer too. How far to turkeys roam? I'm guessing since I have now seen these turkeys during every season, the answer is not very far. One of these days, with my neighbors permission, I need to tramp through the woods that border our properties and see if I can find out where they roost for the night. That might make a good photograph.

7 comments:

ErinFromIowa said...

I recently watched http://video.pbs.org/video/2168110328 ed My Life as a Turkey
I learned about a whole lot more than just turkeys. :)

Ron said...

There was a flock here that showed up in fall. I think there were 13 of them. I saw them every day on the fringes of our clearing. Now that winter is here, they've disappeared too.

Ed said...

Erin - I have seen that video when it aired on PBS. I learned a lot too.

Ron - I have a neighbor down the road about a quarter mile that just posted pictures of a similar sized flock of turkeys in his yard so I suspect that they are one and the same flock. I'm guessing they probably don't stray more than a half mile from home base.

Ed said...

Erin - I have seen that video when it aired on PBS. I learned a lot too.

Ron - I have a neighbor down the road about a quarter mile that just posted pictures of a similar sized flock of turkeys in his yard so I suspect that they are one and the same flock. I'm guessing they probably don't stray more than a half mile from home base.

Leigh said...

It's always so interesting to be part of a wild animals' territory, especially when you're able to observe them over years. We've only seen one wild turkey on our place. It was passing through, I reckon trying to find the rest of its flock!

roaring40 said...

It's great when wildlife decide where you live is conducive.
I know it's all a bit tree huggerish but when my Swallows return I take it as a compliment. Somehow I've taken it into my head that animals know when there's darkness in a house.

Ed said...

Leigh - It certainly is. I have a family a deer, a flock of turkey and a fox family as well. It is comforting to see them pass through.

Vince - Conducive is a great term. I agree!