Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Some Like It Hot

 

Yesterday as I was frying up a batch of lumpia (sorry Kimberly but I forgot to take pictures of the actual making of it to post with the recipe) and was captivated by the pattern of the heating oil and snapped a couple pictures. Since I didn't have anything better to post about, I thought I would post those.

Lumpia is a lot of work to make and thus doesn't get made often. I suppose that is why when I make it for any get together it is a big hit. It may also be due to the fact that I make the shanghai version (with meat) and that my rolls are made tightly about the diameter of a finger. They fry up quickly that way and with so many layers of wrapper around the outside, the inside doesn't get logged down in grease.

Lately I have been trying to figure out a way of making the making of lumpia easier to do so that we can enjoy it more often. The easiest solution is just to make more lumpia when you have everything out and ready and preserve it until you are ready to eat it. So the time before last I did an experiment that turned out very well and have now employed that at full scale.

Now when I make lumpia, I make double and triple batches of it depending on time available. All told it takes me about 45 minutes a batch to make and a batch makes about two dozen lumpia rolls. Once I have them rolled up, I place them spaced apart on a cookie sheet and freeze them for about a half hour so they won't stick together anymore. I then put a dozen or so in a quart freezer bag and put them in the deep freeze. The night before I need any I just place the bags in the refrigerator to thaw out. Because I froze them partially separated on a cookie sheet, the remain unstuck together. I heat up some oil and cook them just like normal. You can't tell any difference between them and fresh cooked.

So the lumpia pictured below, were some I made over a month ago when I was making a batch for my youngest daughter's birthday. My mother-in-law wanted to take some to a potluck to impress some of her friends and so I pulled a couple bags out of the freezer the night before and sent her to her meeting with two dozen hot lumpia. They were a big hit. The next time I make some, I promise to take some pictures and post about the process for those who have expressed interest in the past.


No comments: