Monday, November 25, 2013

Home


I found this picture of the farm house where I grew up in recently while scanning some old slides. I lived in this farmhouse until I was probably 12 or 13 years old and have many fond memories of it. The enclosed porch on the left side of the photo is where I recently blogged about my dog Pepsi habit. The open porch on the right has two doors entering into the house, the nearer one to the office and the far one to my younger brother's bedroom. On the gable end facing the camera, the upper window was in the room where our ping pong  table resided. There was probably only a foot of space on each side of the table and maybe two feet on each end before one hit the wall so I learned to play ping pong up close to the table, a trait that served me well in future years in ping pong tournaments.

This farmhouse has seven bedrooms though there were only my parents, younger brother and I. For the most part, the upper story was closed off all year round. If we wanted to go to one of the two storage rooms or ping pong room during the cold months of winter, we donned jackets and gloves. We heated the house with a wood stove during the winter and cooled it with box fans in the summer so it just made sense to keep near the core.

After my grandfather died, we moved a mile north to his farm because all the grain bins, equipment sheds and such were over there and it was more centrally located. My parents rented out this house for a few years but as rentals go in rural areas, the renters never took care of the place. Eventually it started to come apart at the seams and it was bulldozed in and set on fire. Now if you drive by all you see is a grassy area where it and the outbuildings once stood and a few of the old trees. The driveway doesn't even appear to be there but is under all the grass and weeds. Every once in awhile when I have the time, I like to drive over there and sit in the driveway envisioning the photo at the top of this post and remembering my childhood.

5 comments:

roaring40 said...

Looks a lovely house but I expect if it was to be built today there would be a foot and a half of insulation. A bit like the farmhouse I grew up in the only protection was against wet stuff not cold stuff.

Ed said...

Vince - You are certainly right. I can remember at one point we decided we had enough and insulated it entirely from the outside. We drilled holes in every stud bay through the siding, pumped in loads of loose insulation and then pounded in plugs afterwards. It certainly made a difference though it was still as drafty as could be compared to modern houses. If I remember right, that house was built sometime around 1890.

sage said...

Sad to hear about the demise of the house, it looks so idyllic in the photo.

warren said...

I love the old houses with the lightning rods...so cool! My aunt and uncle had an old farm house that had room after room added on and it was so cool. They would build a new porch and then close it in some years later. I love old houses like that!

Ed said...

Sage - It seems for me the roots and memories have always been in the dirt and farmland nearby and not necessarily the house. My wife on the other hand develops deep emotional bonds with houses.

Warren - That house had two major additions done to it over the years. The thing I liked most about it was that other than the upstairs, every room was bigger than the biggest room we have in our houses today. They just don't make them like that anymore.