Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Smoking Area


Found this scene in Galesburg, Illinois as we were walking around the college campus looking at the architecture of all the old buildings. I passed it by but my wife convinced me that it was blog worthy and I needed to take a picture of it.

Smokers these days are getting pushed out of most buildings these days and as a non-smokers who hates the smell, I don't mind. But I can appreciate how tough it is to smoke these days. I can imagine a few people huddled on this bench on a cold winter's day hurriedly smoking a cigarette so they can get back inside.

At my former job, they jacked the insurance rates up on everyone who smoked and everyone was subject to random nicotine tests if they suspected you were lying about smoking habits. I thought that was pretty tough but my wife's situation took it one step further. Although I can't go into the details right now, my wife's medical group is being sold to another company and that company flat out stated that they will not hire smokers and there are several of them among my wife's office. I'm not sure how that will play out. If that trend catches on however, it may be as rare to see a smoker as a morel in July.

5 comments:

sage said...

Health care for smokers is expensive--maybe this will be the encouragement many need to break the habit.

roaring40 said...

I have a fundamental objection to a private company taking on a pseudo religious roll. They are taking a cue from society and impinging on personal rights. That they have convinced smokers they are pariahs where they don't go to court and have their rights upheld is to me utterly unconscionable.
While smoking is not actively proscribed by laws then deploying social denunciations and exclusions amounting to active and illegal exclusions. Remember the self same methods have been deployed against women, Africans, Irish, Scots, Chinese, Jews and Muslems.

roaring40 said...

Oh, and in your country, native Americans. A term I've a bit of difficulty with. Frankly I prefer Indians.

malor said...

Mercy has the same policy. They are not hiring smokers anymore but they did not fire smokers that they hired prior to the new policy.

I don't like smoke. I don't like the smell of it. And I hate the effect of second hand smoking.

The only thing is I am still exposed to 2nd hand smoking because some of our home health clients smoke in their houses. Oh, I hate that. It bothers me especially when I was pregnant.

Ed said...

Sage - It is expensive which is one of the reasons, I didn't complain about it when Iowa's no smoking at public venues law went into effect.

Vince - In the case of smoking outside in our state, there is a law stating that smoking in public venues not allowed. While private companies is a different story, I think they have a case when the action, in this case smoking, has been documented to cause so much adverse health effects not only to those partaking of the action but those who breath in the second hand smoke. I don't mind someone freely causing themselves harm but when they don't ask me and are causing me harm, I do have a problem.

Malor - Second hand smoke is perhaps the biggest gripe I have especially when I have no say about who is blowing smoke in my general area.