Friday, May 3, 2013

Dead Squirrel


What do you get when a squirrel crosses a line fuse and touches both sides? A dead squirrel and a power outage at my place for a couple hours until the electric company could pop in a new fuse. It made a bang so loud, it had me diving for cover thinking someone was unloading a shotgun in my direction. My daughter enjoyed poking this guy with a stick and commenting on why he was so stiff. Since there probably wasn't enough time for rigor mortis to set in (how long for a squirrel anyway?) I'm guessing the electrical current did a number on the muscles because this guy was rock hard. Perhaps he was just cooked well done inside. Either way, he won't make that mistake again.


6 comments:

sage said...

An object lesson for Little A, don't touch the wires! by the way, my blog feed update doesn't seem to be working again...

Vince said...

Yes the blogger/googlereader feed isn't working but the Wordpress one is.

What am I looking at with the power pole. Is it them re-doing the fuse. Mind you I thought they did a job on all such power-lines in the 80's to prevent such happening with birds of prey where their span caused them to arc the lines. And I seem to remember reading in the National Geog that the side effect was that outages in high winds dropped to almost nil as the widening of the cross beam stopped them hitting each other.

Ed said...

Vince and Sage - From my understanding of things told to me by the power guy, the squirrel didn't touch the wires. Before he got to the wires, there is some insulators with a fuse off to one side of them. In my picture, one of the two fuses is visible. They look like 1 inch diameter cylinders about eight inches long. According to him, the squirrel touched both sides of the fuse and not the wires. Not being electrically gifted, I don't know enough not to believe him.

Leigh said...

Oh my. We've had this happen too, but it's been awhile (knock on wood!)

edifice rex said...

Aww. Poor thing.

Ed said...

Leigh - Oddly enough, this is my first fried critter that I've seen on power wires. Hopefully it is the last one I see for a long while.

Edifice Rex - Well if it is any consolation, I bet it was about as instantaneous death as one can get. Although in my younger days I dispatched and ate a few squirrels, these days I prefer to just watch them having fun in all the oak trees around my property.