Monday, February 25, 2013

The Blizzard That Wasn't

For most of last week, forecasters spent much time when they weren't pontificating the fate of the Blade Runner, informing us of the devastating winter storm that was approaching our state. It was going to lay waste, paralyze our lives and leave us begging for mercy. Well last Thursday afternoon it came.

Before it came, my oldest daughter got out of school early. I suppose the teachers were all worried about the  approaching devastation and didn't want kids walking home in the weather so school was dismissed two hours early. When my daughter got off the bus at the corner, she had to fight her way home over frozen brown grass and mild temperatures. Two hours later, when she normally gets home, it began to snow.

The snow came down in small dry flakes and by the time I made a run to the local Mexican restaurant to stock up on some food, we had about three inches of the stuff. It was terrible! I was forced to still obey the speed limit because hey, I didn't want a speeding ticket. The snow continued into the night and at five o'clock in the morning, I got a text informing me that school was cancelled for the day. I snoozed for another hour and then decided I had better get outside and clear the driveway for the wife so she could get to work later.

The road in front of my house was wet but clear, the highway down the block was wet but clear and my driveway was completely buried in six inches of dry fluffy snow! I put the snowblower in high gear and quickly cleared the driveway and pondered why the forecast was so wrong and why the school was so quick to call it off. I don't suppose I will ever know that answer. I suppose other people got nailed from the storm but we certainly didn't.

The weather guys were quick to point out that though it wasn't as much as they forecasted, it was much needed moisture. Because it was so dry, if all the snow were melted it would probably equate to maybe 1/4" of rain. Not nearly enough to cover our shortage. To do that, we would probably need a dozen feet of really wet snow. Still I won't complain because 1/4" is still 1/4" more than we had last Wednesday. Plus, it is nice to look out the window and see something besides brown for a change.

11 comments:

Bone said...

Yes, an inch of snow equates to 1/10th an inch of rain, or so I've always heard.

Glad you were able to dig yourself out from the blizzard and blog about it.

Ed said...

Bone - We did one better. My daughter and I had a two day sledding marathon out behind our house. Pictures and a video on that in an upcoming post.

Murf said...

Our local yokels have begun the pontification for the storm story that's now in the Texas/OK/Colorado area and supposedly here starting tomorrow afternoon. Interesting sidenote...did you know that the Weather Channel is naming snow storms and is the only one doing so much to the mockery of the 'real' meteorologists? I think this one coming is named 'Rocky'.

warren said...

I think my wife isn't so worried about having her students walk home in the snow...the bigger terror is the chance that they may have to spend the night in the gymnasium!

Ed said...

Murf - I never watch the weather channel but I have known that they name winter storms. I'm not sure where I learned that. Do they retire names of especially devastating winter storms?

Warren - Yeah, excellent point! I almost flip spending a day home with just two kids, much less an entire gym full!

Ron said...

I read somewhere that we needed about 8 *feet* of snow to compensate for the drought.

Lately we're getting rain here, though. One of those things you take for granted until it quits falling.

Ed said...

Ron - Well round two is starting today. They already cancelled schools before it even started snowing and are calling for up to 9 inches by tomorrow. Perhaps we can get another 1/4 to 1/2" of moisture.

roaring40 said...

Can that amount fall overnight.

Leigh said...

So glad to hear you survived your weather event. The media seems to get a kick out of trying to work us all up into a frenzy.

Woody said...

We were spared the eminent doom that was forecast. Three inches of sleet that feel more like a summer thunderstorm than a blizzard. It was odd to hear the thunder rolling through the valley. They call off school here if we get a duck's fart of snow.

Ed said...

Vince - I've seen upwards of 24" fall overnight. An inch an hour is a decent snowfall rate and 2" per hour is a heavy snowfall rate in these parts anyway.

Leigh - I think they have nothing better to report on these days.

Woody - We must have the same guy because a duck's fart of snow is just about right.