Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Small Walks

At our old home, we were surrounded by communities full of sidewalks and often went for walks in the evenings around the neighborhood. It was a good way to 'keep up with the Joneses' and also just to get a bit of exercise and fresh air. Our new place is at the very edge of city limits which actually passes through the living room of our next door neighbor and doesn't have any sidewalks. In fact, it only has narrow lineless asphalt roads winding through the trees. While the setting is excellent, it isn't really conducive to walking after dark which happens way to early in the winter.

I'm not complaining because even if we had light, I still couldn't go because I have a three month old to tow with me. But on those nice days, the little one and I get out for a quick walk up to the end of the cul de sac and back. They are small walks but nice.

Eventually, I hope to range a little further as she gets a bit older and the weather gets a bit warmer. I'm also hoping that by that time, I can get our daughter into our off road stroller that my wife found years ago at a garage sale for five buck and which allows me to walk at a much faster and easier clip. The off road stroller is a plain jane one with just some aluminum tubing and a canvas sling to sit in but it can go over so very rough terrain. This is good because the roads into the woods are marginal at best and at times, require one to creep along at five miles per hour on the best of days to get past. This is because there is a dispute between the city and the county on who is responsible for maintenance  We considered buying several houses in that area of the city but at the end of the day passed on them for this reason among a few other reasons.

1 comment:

Leigh said...

It's wonderful to have a neighborhood you can walk in. And that little girl will learn to love being outdoors! Sounds win-win to me.