Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Sledding Adventure


What you see above is the beginner slopes for sledding at our new digs. I drug out a cheap plastic sled that I have had since when I was young, single, always broke and lived up in Minnesota. I spent many a night half loaded sledding down impossibly steep hills that had I been fully sober, I would have avoided. Somehow I made it away unscathed except for a few damaged liver cells. But back to this story. With six inches of snow on the ground and the weather being decent, I took my oldest daughter out for a little sledding. Since most of our property is very steep or has a lot of tree obstacles, we settled on this area of the yard. My daughter had a blast especially since this was the first year she can remember sledding. In the past years we have either not had enough snow or she was too young to go.


This slope shows the progression from intermediate runs on the far right to the expert run on the far left. As you can see, there are plenty of obstacles and there is absolutely no runout on the bottom. In fact, some large tree rounds from my dead tree cutting last fall line the bottom edge before you get to the brush. As a result, I had to dig in my heals to use as a break when I got near the bottom. After a time, I finally convinced my daughter to ride with me using the intermediate runs to the right and she did fine. The one time she went with me on the expert slope to the left, we got too much speed and I had a hard time steering with her in front leaning the opposite way and so we ended up wrecking right before a large ditch that is covered in snow and hard to see. That was the end of her going down that slope.

On a lark, I shed my glove and held the camera with one hand while sledding down the expert slope and trying not to hit any trees. See the video below. You can tell when I had to dig in my heals for it threw up a lot of snow onto the lens of the camera. It is a short run but was fun. It certainly burnt a lot of calories walking back up the steep hill.


6 comments:

malor said...

That looks fun. I am scared of the trees, tho. Your sledding hill makes me think of the Christmas Vacation Movie...

Ed said...

Malor - I made sure I did a couple easier runs first before tackling the run I videoed. I wanted to make sure I could steer the thing well and how fast could I turn if needed. I didn't however test my brakes (i.e. heels digging into the snow) and came with a few inches of plowing into the heavy log at the end of the video.

sage said...

Great video, looks like you stopped right before a rock!

roaring40 said...

Burrrr. Nope, I've enough of that stuff for this year. I now want sun and summer.

Ed said...

Sage - I was inches away from a large section of a tree that I cut down last fall because it was dead. It was still solid enough that had I hit it, I might have been a bit purple in places.

Vince - I'm ready for summer too but as we enter into a new year after the worst drought we have had in decades, I'm willing to wait as long as we keep getting moisture in the frozen form.

Bone said...

Too bad you didn't smack into a tree on that run, you coulda been a YouTube sensation.